Let's see your cultures

I've started a closet culture :lol: until we get the fish room built and thought I would start a post to see what everyone's doing.
I started with a half bottle of Nanochloropsis and now I'm working with some Tetraselmis and rotifers. I tried Isocrysis but it's difficult to get a good start on it and mine didn't make it and the TET is To Be Determined.

I showed this picture because this is how I do my water changes without sucking up the rotifers. I clip on a 54 micron sieve and suck the water out of that. You might suck up some of the eggs if your culture has had some shock but that's fine if you have a healthy culture.

BTW, like politics everyone has there own opinion for what works for them. Everyone's experience is different :D

Also, this is a food deprived culture so it should not look like that and don't pay attention to the small bottle.

Pic of rotifers under a regular digital camera. We can see them without using a microscope
This is the density we need to raise our clowns. :)

video is here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8113745016363150389&ei=5W_1SLP7OZLAqAKQ5ODpDg&q=rotifers

Ok, add to that Isochrysis. The small clear bottle in the front is brown tonight. I confirmed it under the microsope. Probably tomorrow it will be ready to transfer in to a 1/2 L bottle, and so on till I get 2L bottle cultures.

Thanks Michelle. There are at least 4 of us following in your tracks of breeding. You can read and research till you're are blue in the face but till you've been in the heat of battle you really aren't certain what you're doing is right but photos help.

I would also like to see this thread turn into a 'culture network'.
A few people have contacted me to exchange some cultures and if those willing would just post a quick 'howdy, I'm growing...' that would help someone near you. I had some extra phyto and now others have a culture from mine.
I know I have excess rotifers right now which will get some others started too.
So chime in if you would like to be a part of the network. Kind of like the COOP but for food products. If you're practicing rotifer grow out for breeding or feeding your corals you know how prolific they are so I wouldn't mind thinning mine out on occasion. This would be only to help someone start a culture and not to be taken advantage of. In other words, don't use someone else to grow your coral food :D

Thanks, Tim