Killer Purple Tang

dustinc

Membership Expired
I added a Purple Tang that is just too large for my other fish and he killed a small blonde Naso and keeps chasing my melanarus and leopard wrasse. I would like to catch him and get him out, but can’t seem to get him. Any suggestions? Would give someone a great deal once caught. Ha ha. 

Have you tried the mirror trick to see if he will pester himself instead of the other fish? Put a big mirror on one side of the tank.

I have. He pesters himself and then once I remove it a day later, he’s back after the others. I just want him gone at this point so the other fish don’t have to worry about it. He’s still quite small, maybe 4”, and assume it is going to get worse. 

How long did you leave it up? I think your supposed to leave it there until he stops pestering himself. Usually a few days or up to a few weeks.Do you have another tank or QT to transfer him too?I have a "dip an pour" with holes drilled in it as a "peacemaker" (Marc "Melev" makes these out of acrylic also). Anytime one fish gets out of line, I stick them in there a few days and then let them back out at night.Hope your able to find a solution! Hopefully others will chime in with experiences.

Purple Tangs are beautiful fish but they could be mean as hell. A friend had one and was peaceful to all fish in the tank, one day he decided to get a Copperband Butterfly, and as soon as that fish when in the tank, the Purple Tang immediately went after it and did not stop, to the point that the fish was so scared that he went into the fish net by himself. I had a beautiful Copperband Butterfly for many years after that....lol.I agree with Chris, and I also had a problem with one of my tangs harassing newcomers. I was able to catch him, and put him in a container inside the tank for several weeks, and once he was out of jail he become a model citizen.

To answer your questions...  I made a fish trap back in the day to catch my mean purple tang.  I bought a cheap clear plastic container from the kitchen section at Walmart and removed the lid.  I then used zip ties to attach some eggcrate that I cut down to be the door.  I then attached zip ties to the door to hold it open.  I filled it with water from the tank and his favorite food (which was anything) and dropped it to the bottom.  Since he was the meanest, he always ate first.  Sure enough, he went in to feast and lowered the door and pulled him out.I know they sell some nice fish traps, but mine was cheap and I had it made in short time.  Some users on here might have one you can borrow.Good luck and I don't blame you for wanting to get rid of him.  Saw mine kill a few nice fish before I gave him the boot!

I had a powder blue that gave me trouble.  I purchased a fish trap at brs.  Since then I have used it to catch several fish and two shrimp.  I have never been unable to catch what I needed out with the trap.  I will try to remember to attach the brand name when I get home.  I would loam it to you, but I love in greenville so probably would not be worth the drive! David 

+1 on the peacekeeper from marc levenson has worked wonders with butthead fish we had that issue with a clown awhile back terrorizing our tank and had to get rid of her. tried everything eventually I waited until night time and chased her around the tank eventually she wore herself out and gave up

They sell fish traps at Petsmart.  But a cheap alternative is one of those plastic containers they sell carbon in.  Just punch a hole and thread a string through it.  Put in the bait and sink it to the bottom.  When the fish swims in pull the string.  Fish instinctively always swim down toward the reef when frightened.  Yeah, I know, easier said than done.