Is my scarlet hermit dead?

I noticed the other day that one of my new scarlet hermits was just sitting in a spot behind a piece of rock, not moving. I didn't think anything of it because I know they sometimes just sit around, but after another day, I checked on him and couldn't see his legs at all. I thought he might have abandoned his shell, so I picked up the shell to see if it was empty, and when I looked deep inside the shell, I could just see the tips of his legs, but they weren't moving. I set the shell down on the sand where I could see it, and many hours later, I still have yet to see even the slightest twitch from the tips of his legs. I thought that hermits generally fall out of their shells when they die, but he looks totally retracted as far back into the shell as possible. Is he dead, preparing to molt, or just scared or resting? I can't tell...

Well, he ended up being dead. I left his shell overnight in a position where I could see the little tips of his legs, and the next morning they hadn't moved a bit. I took him out and he smelled slightly fishy, but nothing all that noticeable. I touched the tips of his legs in the shell, and they didn't move at all, either. My water parameters are fine, so I guess it was just his time... The first death in my tank. :( He will be missed.

I ended up getting a few red-legged hermits and an electric orange hermit the next day, and they're doing fine. Life goes on!