I just found this free floating

Crotalus

Premium Member
This little coral is just floating around, about the size of a quarter.  Transparent green arms with blue tips.  It looks like a frogspawn that died on me months ago.  Should I let it land somewhere on it's own?  It doesn't seem to have a discernible top or bottom.View attachment 5608

Could be polyp bail out by the frogspawn.   I would get a small container and put it in it so it doesn't float around.   I've heard conflicting stories on if they will regrow a skeleton.

Nice, I would definitely try to catch it, examine it and see if it can be mounted on a plug maybe. If not keeping in a small vented container like Opus said would give it the best change to survive and not go down the drain or get sucked into a power head.

Yeah if only soft tissue after inspection, for sure go with suggestion by Opus. Hope it makes it!Thanks for sharing!

I had some heads fall off my frogspawn last year.  I never could get them to attach to anything.  I tried coral glue as well as Opus' idea of using a small container full of rocks.  I hope you have better luck.

I have it in a shallow open top jar with low flow so it won't blow away.  It has plenty of light and triples it's size during the day.   Ill add a few rocks and see what happens. ThanksMark 

After 4 days it has attached itself to a rock.  I will give it a few more before taking it out of the jar to get a good look at it.

If it attached itself, then it is not frogspawn.  As far as I know, they don't "attach" to anything, they would have to grow their own skelton.

I think it looks like an unhappy bailed out frogspawn polyp.  I read one case, with pictures, where a bailed polyp attached rather than eventually dying, so it is possible, however unlikely.