I built my new sump - Actually fits under a 55gal!

melev

Club President
Staff member
Board of Directors
Sponsor
[I wanted to show you guys the sump I just finished building.

Due to the narrow stand, I only had 11" wide, but I didn't like being restricted. So I built a U shape sump, that is 15" wide on both ends and 10 3/4" wide in the center (because of the plywood upright brace in the rear of the stand. Total height is 16".

The water level will be 9" high on the skimmer side, and this is where I'm going to put my Aqua C EV-200. The other side will drop due to evaporation. I wanted to have as much fluid as possible to extend the amount of time until it must be topped off. So I built the refugium to be above that area.

My return pump has been ordered. A Mag 9.5. I'm going to T off the return line to feed the refugium, which will drain via the bulkhead back into my return area. If power is cut off, the refugium will stay full up to the bulkhead.

I just finished a water test of the unit, and see where I need to add additional bracing. Those are going to be added tonight. Perhaps tomorrow I'll be able to install it.

I'm going to build a temporary 2x4 frame to support the tank while I remove the front center brace from the stand, just long enough to drop in the new sump.

Later, I'm going to build a removable resevoir to fit over the until to top off for a few days at a time. :D

55sump_rear.jpg
alt="">
55sump_front.jpg
alt="">]

[Here are a few more. Last night I added more reinforcement to make sure it held, built a stand for my skimmer, and fixed the three pinhole leaks I'd found. I filled it up with water a few hours later, and left it outside until about 1pm.

No Leaks! :D

As I took water out of it, we filled up 5 gal buckets to see how much it holds. To the top, it contains 35 gals. The refugium is a little less than 5 gals, the skimmer side is 10 gals, and the return area is about 10 gal as well. So a 25 gal sump setup for a 55 gal should be great.

Unfortunately the bench it was on was leaning a tad, so the water doesn't look level. But this is what it looks like when it is filled for normal use.

55sump1.jpg
alt="">

55sump2.jpg
alt="">

55sump3.jpg
alt="">]

[Really good for the first attempt with acylic Marc. I know you must have woodworking experience after seeing that. :cool:]

[Thanks Brad. This is my third or forth project, actually. The first two were my overflow box and 14g sump under my 29 gal. Then I had to rebuild the overflow that actually worked. :D

Then I took on this monster. I didn't have time to install it tonight, but perhaps tomorrow afternoon. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing this skimmer work, finally.]

[very, very impressive!!! please keep posted as you continue your project.

you might have already mentioned this, but what kind of acrylic glue did you use? Weld On?

thanks]

[For all my previous projects, I used Weld-On #16, which looks and smells very much like model glue. It comes in a tube like toothpaste. But this time, I finally bought Weld-On #3 instead (finally had it in stock), so I got the little can & a squeeze bottle w/ needle applicator.

I filled up the applicator with 1/2 the contents of the can, and started gluing my pieces together. When I was completely done with everything, I found that I've only used 1/3 of that little applicator bottle. I can't believe how far that stuff goes.

To reassure myself that everything is glued-like-stone, I run a thin bead of #16 down all my seams. Then I let it cure for 24 hours before adding water to test for leaks.

I filled it all the way to the top, to create the most pressure possible, and waited. The next day, I checked to see if I could find any moisture around the project. When all the area is dry,I'm delighted. :D]

[Okay, it is installed and going full tilt! My skimmer is bubbling with joy. :D

55sump5.jpg
alt="">]

[Hey Duane! The clowns are still alive! (grin)

I added a webpage about this experience, in case it helps someone in the same situation.

My new Mag 9.5 arrived, so now I need to start new plumbing for the return, the feed to the refugium and the extra drain in case the pump is too much for the overflow.

I'm thinking I may end up building a new overflow that can handle more flow so the pump can run full tilt. Maybe I'll use what I've got, with a conversion to a true weir. :p]

[I've received a few emails to ask how I plumbed the pump to the refugium, so I thought I'd better actually get that new Mag 9.5 installed already, so I could post a picture.

mag9_5__plumbed.jpg
alt="">]

[Description of above picture (just for Brad's browser.):D

I had a feeling my overflow box wouldn't keep up with this pump, so the way it is installed, there are two "T" connections before it rises to the top and into the tank.

The first T you can see in the rear has a horizontal ball valve. That is how water is fed to the refugium. The second T is above the first, and this diverts water back into the sump.

Why? That way, if the pump is too strong, I can send water back to the sump and avoid overflowing the tank above. Also, this is better than putting a ball valve on exiting side of the pump because it causes excess pressure on the pump. We want our pumps to run for years, so it is best not to restrict the flow at all.

As expected, the overflow box can't keep up, so I'll be adding another in the near future. For now, I have the vertical valve open quite a bit.

The valve to the refugium is only open a little, and the flow through there is very gentle. I can't really rate it, but I had a rio600 hooked up temporarily and it was at the brink of overflowing it all the time. Now the water entering keeps up with the water exiting.]