How to clean (sanitize) tank

jvswan

Premium Member
Not sure which discussion group this question should be in, but I just purchased a tank that has been used as a litter box by one or more cats. It is a 120 gallon custom aquarium. Wondering what’s the best way to clean/sanitize the tank?  Will bleach damage the silicone?  Not sure if vinegar and water will do the trick...  suggestions?

If it were me, I would start out with soap and water and then do a water/vinegar wash and the a final good rinse.

Posted by: Chris If it were me said:
Well, I’ve always avoided using detergents in fish tanks. I don’t even use sponges or rags that have been used with soaps or detergents. For some reason chlorine bleach seems better because I know that a 10%-20% solution of bleach and water can be removed with rinses and water conditioner. However, I’ve never had to clean a tank this gnarly before...

That's how I cleaned my tank before I set it up, just made sure it was rinsed very well and dried out.Not sure if the bleach would hurt anything, I doubt it, hopefully others will chime in with their experience.Good luck with the cleaning! :)

Using vinegar or diluted bleach isn't going to hurt anything. Magic erasers are good for stubborn spots on the glass

It is also important to let the tank dry thoroughly for 24 hours after the bleach - that will ensure any leftover residue is rendered inert.

Cleaning the fish tank does not need to remove all the fish. I am talking about maintenance where cleaning is done on a regular basis, such as weekly, bi-weekly, or every two weeks, depending on your schedule. The key is you should never shock the entire ecosystem inside the fish tank. So, if you remove the fish, it means you are shocking the system. We can leave the fish inside the tank but still do our regular cleaning procedure.

Last edited:
If you are buying a new aquarium, simply rinsing with plain water should suffice. When you're buying a used "new" aquarium, the most important thing to remember is the dos and don'ts. Do not clean the aquarium with soapy water or cleaning products. You should only clean the aquarium with hot water. Do not use soap or detergent of any kind; they are very harmful to your fish.

Last edited: