How do you find a mated pair of True Percula Clown Fish?

How do you find a mated pair of True Percula Clown Fish?

Can a LFS order one pair?

Or is there some other way that I don't know about?

Or if I just buy two clowns, the more dominant one will change to a female?

"If you are keeping a group of Percula Clowns and the female is removed, the most dominant male will usually undergo a sex change to become female."
http://www.centralpets.com/animals/fish/saltwater_fish/swf2053.html

You can have your LFS order a pair, or you can try to pair a smaller juvenile with a larger female. I've bought a paid of mated tomato clowns from another member, and I've also gotten a small juvenile to pair with a larger one.

ORA is one company that breeds and mates them and like Ashlar said the LFS can order them.

Fish2morow has a pair of A. Ocellaris in from ORA that are BEAUTIFUL. I wish I didn't have my pair or I would get them. :roll: I'm not too impressed with all the clown variants but these were dark orange and black in the typical clown design. The bars were perfectly shaped. :p

Typically you'll pay $100 for a mated pair. I have several sites if you're interested.

If you wanted to go the cheap way out, get a large one, put it in your tank, in a couple of months, if it's the only clown of it's species, it will become a female. Next time the LFS gets in a bunch of clowns, get the smallest which will probably be unsexed and in about a month they will start laying eggs. I haven't raised the fry yet but IMO it is the easiest fish to pair up, next to Mandarins, but raising the eggs past meta is difficult. If mine get busy, after moving them to a new tank, I'll give it a try.

Everyone will suggest to get Joyce Wilkerson's book on Clowns. There are several people in the club that can lend their experience if you want to raise them.

yes pretty much like you said
if you have 2, one of them larger, then the larger one will become female...
however, if the smaller one has already turn female, then you're in trouble.

it's not hard to mate them if the smaller one is submissive. they may go through a period of establishing their pecking order. But there are cases when the smaller one refuse to submit (and very likely because it has already turn female, and once they do that, they cannot turn back into male)

Honestly easiest way is to buy 2 juvi's 1.5 inch or less and let them grow. One will turn femal and one male. It will probably take 1.5-2 years thoug h for them to actually mate. If you want a mating pair it's best to wait until someone is tearing down their tank or you will be looking at at least $100.

@kwl1763 wrote:
Honestly easiest way is to buy 2 juvi's 1.5 inch or less and let them grow. said:
That's what a most people inadvertently do but the fastest way is still to get one around 1-2 years old, leave it in the tank for a month or two without others of the same species to make sure it becomes a female, then get a juvenile and you will have eggs in as little as 1 month after introduction of the juvenile.
I used this method, I had an existing male, left it in the tank (in this case a couple of years), went to Michele's house and got her smallest A.O. and they laid eggs 1 month later (give or take a couple of hours :lol: )

Don't disagree at all with that but you have to make sure it's a mature fish and then give it several months to make sure it's a female.

Yep, I can only report that the juvenille turned male quick but I'm not sure how long they wait before they decide no one else is showing up to take charge of making eggs.
I've seen the work my male does, if it were me I would jump straight to being a female :lol:

About a month or two ago I saw a pair of mated black clowns at Botique pets off Garland road. The guy told me he would sell the pair for $50. I onyl have one fish and want to keep it that way for now so I declined.