HM's 110 last upgrade ever

Posted by: integra3g [quote="Posted by: Michael V. [quote="Posted by: integra3g Yes said:
Well my feeding schedule is fairly high, I had a pretty good outbreak of diatoms so I upped my fuge schedule to around 16-18 hours per day. The diatoms have subsided some now so I'm reducing the fuge lighting schedule a bit to see if that frees up some nutrients. Filter socks should increase nitrates since I don't change them often as I'm trying to get my nutrients up."]But without filter socks, food can move throughout the system and hopefully get consumed by something rather than just create waste.  You want a little nutrients, but good/natural (fish waste) nutrients.  I know my system did not do well with high Alk and low nutrients.  Just get that Alk down to 8 and see what it does."]Yea I'm not aiming for ULNS, just not sure why the stupid things won't budge.

I am actually looking to start doing as well, almost no detectable nitrates here. So ordered a new and different nitrate test kit and something to dose if not in the 2-4 ppm range.  Let us know how that goes for you.

I used stump remover, nitrates were holding at 3 ppm. Hopefully they will stick there. I think my target is 3-5 ppm. Phosphate might be next though but we'll see how the algae responds.

Just FYI, I was about to dose nitrates and I decided to double check with a different test kit, since I rarely saw any detectable nitrate, 1 ppm or less. Well glad I did check, must have a bad test kit because my nitrates are sky high! Did big water change last night and will every other day till back down and starting up the bio pellet reactor tonight.

Good point Jenkins, I ordered a new Salifert from BRS over the weekend.Salifert says nitrates are.. 5 ppm 

Posted by: Joe Chris said:
It was a new Elos Nitrate Test Kit, guess it always ran low. I know I didn't do it wrong every time for the last 8 months, doesn't expire till December either. It must just a bad test kit. I used a Salifert and API to confirm and both had same results, around 75 ppm . My water change Tuesday got it to 60, will do another tonight. Got the bio-pellet reactor on and dosed MB7 last night so hopefully that will start helping.

On the agenda, changing up my flow. If you look back on page one you will see all my flow pumps are on the right corner attached to my overflow. They all point to the left. This have given me a great whirlpool like effect and the entire water column is moving. However! I noticed that on some of my sticks all the polyps are always blowing in one direction and I am starting to see weird growth. So, I am thinking about changing it up a bit. Rickyb's tank I think just has two big flow pumps in the top corners pointed at the front glass. I'm considering doing something like that. I am also considering moving two of the pumps to the back glass pointing at the front glass on pulse mode. This should maintain the whirlpool effect and also provide some random breaks to it? I don't know just thinking outloud. 

busy busy..new lights
24428409477_0baaa86364.jpg
a DIY tank controller, I'm just using it as a timer though.https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4731/25423582068_392e3b36a9.jpg  

Posted by: Chris Hadn't seen that method yet said:
The prices are pretty close to the same, the ATI kit is more diluted so you have to add more. The ICP test is cheaper though and lets you test your RO/DI too.