Hey all

Newbie alert. I just finally got a good place and thinking to start the hobby. I might start with 15sh gal tank but thought to get as much knowledge first. I'll be lurking around

Welcome! Let us know if you can't find an answer or have any question. When you decide what you want to do, start a build log thread so we can see the progress and help along the way. See you around! 

I have been out of the hobby for some time. My advice therefore is likely outdated. But, I recall reading from many experts that 55 gallons was the smallest a beginner wanted to start with.- that may have changed on the near 10 years I've been out.The reason was water stability. In some ways the saltwater animals are hardier than freshwater, but not when it comes to water quality. I believe anything smaller than 55 gallons is called a nanoreef. I've seen some amazing nanotanks but, they require near daily maintenance and water checks (as I understand).  My only tank was 180 gallons so, I am no expert! - good luck!  

Welcome to the hobby rodds45.  Ask plenty of questions.  Just to warn you, your going to get a million different answers.  What works for 1 doesn't mean its going to work for everyone. There is alot of trial and error in this hobby.  But, we have a nice little club here and lots are willing to share their experiences and lend a hand when needed.  

Welcome and good luck always remember this hobby takes allot of patience . Ask questioned and someone will give u there point of view and what knowledge they know allot of great people on here 

Thank you guys for the welcome and wonderful tips! Yeah, I read too a smaller tank is challenging to maintain. I'll be planning further.

Welcome.  Personally I think a biocube (the 25-35 gallon ones) are a good starting point.  I started in a 14, but the 29 was easier.I like the biocubes for beginners since everything is contained, and they are easy to upgrade.  Sure you can do more with a sump and more space, but that comes at an increased price and increased complication.  Once you have enough experience to understand the limitations of a biocube, then move up to something bigger.If you can start with a "large" tank, I feel that the following stock dimension tanks are easiest to decorate, and also have enough room under them.  Note that this list excludes cube tanks, which are usually nicer, but more costly:1) 40 Breeder (not a standard 40).2) 75 gallon.  Similar lighting requirements and equipment costs to a 55, but 50% more depth which is VERY useful when decorating, and 50% more space under the stand.3) A 4' 120 gallon.  Not a 6' 125 gallon.4) A 6' 180 or 210.  You're talking a lot more cost at this point though.  It's very easy to sink $10k into a 210 (or even a 120 really) if you're buying new equipment, and you can kill things just as easily as in a 30 gallon biocube.I'm another vote for captive bred/propagated both fish and coral.  If someone else can propagate it in their tank the odds are it's a hardier coral.  With wild caught stuff you're taking a risk every time.

I started with a biocube 14 and glad I did. Never had any issues as long as I did my weekly water change. Definitely set me up for success with my current 110 gallon.

Welcome to the DFW board and hobby!My first sw tank was a 75g fish only. We loved it and have had many tanks from then to now.  The big thing in this hobby is to go slow very slow. Impulse buys are not always a good thing  but now days we can google first then buy.