Help with cloudy water - Cloudy water

[What have I done? I gave some live sand from my tank to a friend to seed his tank both of which have been set up for years. Since he has added this sand to his tank the water is cloudy or milky looking. He is starting to do water changes today but I'm curious to find out what happened. ???]

[Hi Dennis,

Did he add the sand into the suction side of his pump? :p

How much sand was it, and how did he add it?

Brad]

[I gave him about 1 cup full of sand. His filter system is a external hang over the back type media filter and an external skimmer. With that the current is low in the tank so I doubt that it is caused by mechanical means. He has a crushed coral bed made up of the larger media type.
Also he added the sand 3 days ago very slowly so as not to stir up too much silt.]

[Usually sudden cloudy water is caused by either a bacterial or algal bloom caused by dying organisms. If the sand had a die off before it was added, it could be the reason for cloudy water.

Nothing really can help but time. I have used .5 micron filters before through a canister filter and that helps, but after the food source is gone, bacterial and algal blooms go away.

hth,

Brad]