Help! What is this?

Goldie13

Premium Member
This was just found  in my overflow box.  It is a crystal blue center and white to clear tentacles.  My first thought was aptasia but it is really pretty.  Is it a good thing or a bad thing?   It is hard to get a good picture of them. Thank you in advance View attachment 6119

I am thinking that is still aptasia, maybe just a very large mature one. How old is your tank?https://www.thesprucepets.com/ways-to-eliminate-aiptasia-anemones-2925434https://www.thesprucepets.com/thmb/6AHY1mDcPkgbZIC4xMNGB2PVH24=/960x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(webp)/aiptasia-resized-56a81f035f9b58b7d0f0dae4.jpg  

I think you are right. Now what do I do?do I risk killing my Anemones with the poison?Do I syphon them out with the python? My tank is in the best shape ever and I don’t want them to spread. Thanks for your help

If you don't do anything it is going to spread, no question there.  Honestly the odds of there being more are high, so look around.  If you can get that pipe out do so, shave it off, coat it in kalk paste for 10 minutes, and put it back in.  If not I'd drain below it, try to shave it off, and drip calc paste (or apply with a paper towel) to that location.

Posted by: jccaclimber If you don't do anything it is going to spread said:
I have also heard of people coating the area with glue or even putty. Good luck. Those things are tough to remove.

Thank you. We are going to try aptasia x tonight. I may also try the glue.  There is now 3 little ones. Im glad they are in the overflow but if they spray the eggs when I do the treatment those will go into my main tank. Really bummed as my tank is so heathy and very nice right now. Thank you for the advice. Have a Blessed Day 

Update:Thank you everyone for all the advice. I hopefully got rid of the problem (still not holding my breath).  I was able to drain the overflow box , zapped Aptasia X on all of them, pull the pipe, scrubbed it clean and rinsed it with hot hot water. There were about 15 babies and 4 big ones. I pulled what I could out with tweezers after zapping them. Sticking this one up to the newbie experience.  Well they say things happen for a reason. Being the newbie to the hobby I learned more about my tank.  I had no idea you could pull the pipe out of the overflow and it not drain the tank.  Although while syphoning the water out of the overflow I accidentally pulled the pipe out. Thank God I had the drain hose in a bucket.  Crossing my fingers that this learning experience is over. Again All your help was greatly appreciated. Debbie

Good luck. I hope you got them all. If not, you'll know soon enough.I've had to pull out the drain pipe a few times.  Even though I know what to expect, it's still unnerving.