Glass hole for 3/4 bulkhead

powerslayer

Membership Expired
I think the hole size is 1.5". Easy to do? I don't want to bust up the tank. The glass is 1/4" and not tempered.

Normally 3/4 BH inch is a 1-inch hole. Make sure you measure the outside diameter across to confirm the drill bit size. Use a marker to trace around the BH on the glass, place tape around the outline, I use a couple of layers of tape for a guide. Have a water bottle to pour into the taped area and allow the bit to work and don't apply a lot of pressure. It won't take too long, stop to add water as needed to keep it wet. Also, place a piece of tape on the inside across the hole so when you cut through the glass hole won't drop and break. There are Youtube videos out there to watch too. it's very simple. 

Thanks Steve. I have checked the videos out. I am going to start small. First just cut out a 1/4" inch hole to get a hang of it. Then go larger. Will keep you posted. Thanks

You can get a small piece of glass from HD, or stop by any glass shop for a scrap to practice on

I practiced on a 10 gallon before drilling any of my displays. If you can drill through a 10 gal without cracking, then you can drill through just about anything else.

I had to have some glass drilled once... I found a glass shop and just paid them like 10 bucks to do it.  They obviously wont take responsibility if it breaks, but I figured they were more experienced than I was and less likely to break it.  They also used a neat drill press that was suction cupped to the glass... this let them apply pressure and kept the bit from walking.I know that is not DIY advice so let me give some... When they drilled my tank, they used soft plumbers putty to build a dam around the area to be drilled.  This let them fill the area with water and it stayed wet the whole time the drilling was being done.

Posted by: powerslayer I think the hole size is 1.5". Easy to do? I don't want to bust up the tank. The glass is 1/4" and not tempered. said:
It depends on the bulkhead you are planning to use, SCH40 and SCH80 have different size holes. If I recall correctly BRS has the hole size under their bulkhead selection.