Getting back into NANO REEF with a JBJ RL-45.

raullozano3

Premium Member
I just came back to the hobby after a 3 year break, and starting this new JBJ RL45, This will be Day 2 of my build so perfect to add it to the section of the forum. I had prior to move to Dallas area a 20G Nano reef that went very good, everything grew, even move to acros but I had to sell it since I move to Plano, TX . Here is my buildTank JBJ RL45Return pump TUNZELight 1 Kessil A150, 1 Kessil A160.40lbs Live Sand (not sure why just because I thought it will be cleaner  but what mess) about 2 " dept40lbs Dry Rock (no live this time, want to control more the hitchhikers)Aquamaxx Protein skimmerJBJ ATO with Innovative Marine return pump (still filling it up manually until I am 100% moved to the home do not want to risk an overflow)Also have a Chiller need to set it up too.So far so good.Fishless cycle currently at 4ppm of Ammonia, it looks more maybe it had more hope I didn't overdid it with the ammonia. Photos:View attachment 5366 And just as a reference my old 20G Nano Tank, took me two years to learn and get it to that level. View attachment 5367

(I got it fixed up for you) Yes don't use the built in editor emojis right now, it will not let it post.Looking good! Can't wait to watch it progress!

Well here the final setup, ATO connected and Chiller connected (not cooling) but all connected, the paper towels just to check for leaks and nothing so far, the water reservoir (20g) will get covered with a black cloth, I could to some sort of box-stand but well to lazy right now but later. as another project. Just waiting on the cycle, tic toc, tic toc.  BTW, what product you recommend I use to cleaning the glass, have waited to clean it but well maybe there is something better than the magnet stuff, hate to scratch the glass with small sand particles.View attachment 5415

Looking good!I probably would have cleaned it before setup, but I use these to clean mine occasionally. Just make sure you get the "original" with no chemicals.Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original: http://a.co/2yzSl1y 

Thanks, the glass looks like that after the live sand it was clean before, it is just sediment deposits. Will look on the Mr. Clean, that is the same stuff I use for the countertops of my rental home. So do you use it for the inside too?

Finally it cycled this week I been feeding ammonia and everyday I read, 0 nitrite and 0 ammonia, a lot of nitrate, so will probably do the water change tomorrow, and get me my initial stock on Saturday, probably some zoas or will see and 2  ocellaris, and a few cleaning crew that will eat food not algae, I still do not have the algae bloom, do not want to add crew and then they die because no food.Also I will use on the back on one of the chambers as a refugium and add some cheato algae. Where is a good LFS I can also get some copepods to feed the tank.   

Finally cycled and thanks to Exotic Aquatics got me a new stock.2 Ocellaris5 Turbos hope they do not perish because of lack of algae.1 Torch frag1 zoa frag1 candy cande frag1 polyp fragCheato Algae in refugium on the backand a bottle of tiger copepods. View attachment 5577

Added a tail spot blenny, two peppermit shrimp and a duncan coral frag,  I guess for now will let it set. The tail spot blenny a little bit shy has not come out of the rock, but well hope it gets more adventurous.  View attachment 5620

Yes they are, hope is not detrimental for the torch, but so far I been feeding some misys shrimp, and the Torch catches with the tentacles ands eats it, and looks all expanded with the light so seems happy, will see. I am not a fan of anemones on this size of tank, unless I make it an all anomene tank.

I got me this couple, it was love at first sight I guess, it took less than a day for them to partner and start digging everywhere :)Funny thing,  LFS tells do not insert your hand the pistol shrimp will snap it on two, I mean I always wear armor when I put my hand inside the tank. View attachment 5723 Besides that the tank is still running normal and I am just letting the frags grow, might get me a new frat for the sides now, but I am just letting everything grow.