Frozen Phyto?

OK before I ask. I know the best is fresh or live and have my cultures going well. BUUUUUUUUUT, With traveling all the time for work now and the growing corals haveing a higher demand now its going to be a process of feeding for the help or family members. Soooo, I was thinking of measuring a set amount into a baggy or some other container then freezing and sealing. Then the person feeding can get a cube and feed the tank with out messing with a bottle and measureing device. Is this a viable option? I mean brine, mysis and a number of others are frozen so why not phyto? TYIA

@Mr.X-ray wrote:
OK before I ask. I know the best is fresh or live and have my cultures going well. BUUUUUUUUUT said:
Hi,
Biggest drawback I can think of is that when you freeze phyto is dies. It is known that substantially fewer organisms will feed on dead phytoplankton.... than they will on live phytoplankton so unless the phyto is eaten immediately, it will just pollute your tank.

Cheers,

I buy liter bags of concentrated nanochloropsis from Reed Maricuture and freeze part of it and keep part in the fridge.

As necessary, I thaw to restock the fridge container.

I use it to feed corals, and to gut load rotifers and BBS for clown fry food.

As long as it is used within 3 - 4 months it seems fine ......... I've been doing this for a couple of years.

Don't know why it would be all that different using the home grown.

Not sure I'd try this with a motile phyto, but with nano it's doable.

maybe you might think about just getting vials and measure out the phyto so when they need to add it its already remeasured. that's what i do when i leave town and have my brother feed the tank.

Any type of freezing will ruin the phyto it bursts the cell membrane. Just buy dt phyto or reef nutritions phyto if you want something that has a good shelflife

Or just leave a shot glass out and leave instruction fill glass up and pour every other night or whatever your dosage is.