Foxface - venom get anyone?

Fish Think Pink

Club Secretary
Staff member
Board of Directors
Anyone have personal experience with foxface venom in fins?

I've read very hot water helps if in contact with spines. I've got Benedryl, epipen, ... Looking for someone with personal experience to advise. I'm klutzy, but I can't say I have ever come in contact with a fish unless I was catching it or it was on purpose attacking me (damsels & clowns). My zoas constantly causing itchy hives but I bang into them when redecorating and/or cleaning/maintenance. Fish get out of my way (unless attacking). I have never heard of a foxface attacking human - seem very peaceful.

Off and on I get these urges for a magnificent foxface both because they are absolutely stunning and they love algae even more than tangs. Someone needs to talk me down from a magnificent foxface / rabbitfish urge!

I’ve heard the same thing about hot water and maybe vinegar water? My fox face is a big softie. He’s one of the biggest fish in the tank and scared of everything in there. So the second my hand goes in he’s hidden behind the rocks out of the way. As you mentioned I fight my clowns and damsels more than anything else. Lol. So no experience with stings but it’s always in the back of my mind when I’m in the tank to make sure I know where he is and move slow so he doesn’t freak out and hurt himself or someone else. Overall they’re great fish and if you have the tank space for one I recommend them.

Very hot water is also what they recommend for a lionfish sting. I've had a Magnificent Foxface in my 120 gallon tank for a number of years and he's never been a problem. If I have to put my hands in the tank he usually goes behind the rocks and hides.