Fluval 406 Will Not Prime

MartinMan

Premium Member
After doing my monthly cleaning on my three month old Fluval 406, I could not get it started again.  Motor runs but will not prime.  I watched a couple dozen Youtubes on this seemingly common problem, completely overhauled the filter, but still nothing.I guess this is no longer an emergency, that is I survived the crisis by buying another canister filter.  I upgraded to the FX4 and love it.  But I would really like to get the old one going for a backup in case this happens again with the New Fluval.  I'm sure the FX4 is overkill for my 60 gallon tank, but I guess you can never get to much filtration.  I bought the 406 on Amazon, so it will be a pain to track down a receipt, but the warranty says 3 years.  I'm getting nowhere with their support department.  Does anyone know if there is anyplace local I can take the old one for repair.  I rather just pay for a repair rather than deal with shipping.Thanks 

I assume you've pulled the impeller to make sure the area housing it is clean?  Can you hear the impeller spinning?

Housing looks good, impeller sounds like it is spinning.  Just doesn't prime.  Maybe I should replace the impeller.  I think they have them at Petsmart.  Tried starting with and empty canister, and with it full.  Even tried filling the hoses.

What happens if you run it with the lid off (or would that make a huge mess)?  I'm not familiar with that specific model.

Funny, I was going to ask you the same thing.  If I take the lid off turn it upside down and plug it in just for a second dry just to see if the impeller is spinning.  Haven't tried that yet.  When it is on the canister it kind of makes that rattling sound like when a impeller is not spinning right.  I'll have some time tomorrow to mess with it.  Now I'm a bit paranoid to shut down the FX4 for cleaning.

^I'd guess either a new pump (maybe new impeller?).  Also, after you pull the impeller, try blasting some water through the hole.  I've seen cases where a grain of sand/pebble/whatever gets down there and doesn't come back out when the impeller is removed/wiped.