DIY Stand Question

jvswan

Premium Member
Hey all. ?So, I'm building a stand for a 75g tank. I'm considering using a 45g tank as a sump. Only thing is the 45 and 75 are the same width. If I build the stand such that the 2X4s align with the bottom edges of the 75g, then there won't be enough room for the 45g sump.?Before I decide?to get rid of the 40g and go for a smaller sump, I was wondering if y'all think the stand could be built 4" wider than the 75g? ?Maybe with a 3/4" plywood top? ?That means the 75g display would sit about 1/2" inside the 2X4s instead of just on top of them. Would that be advisable?Any other suggestions for building a stand for the 75g on top and the 40g down below?TIA

I think it's perfectly doable, even without the plywood, although something spanning the gap would be good. ?Just make the stand longer than the tank by a couple inches.I'm having a hard time picturing this though, is the sump a 45, 40b, something else? ?What are the sump tank dimensions?

Oh, DUH! ?Lol. It is a 40b. Not sure why I said 45g. It is the same size as my last reef tank.So, I'll span the long rails with 2X4 shorts. Probably a total of 5 cross boards. But since those boards are only screwed into the long rails, I figure it will require some sort of sturdy surface, like the ply wood, that will rest on the rails. Does that make sense?anyway, I just want to make sure I'm not going to risk anything by having the display tank not being directly supported by the 2X4s.?

A 40b isn't a 4' tank, why not just put the 40b under the center of the 75? ?Then you can have all four corner posts under the corners of the tank.Edit: If your stand has a 2x4 brace underneath between the legs, either put the 40b on top of that, or use thinner boards.What you want to do with the stand is possible, but doesn't seem needed.

Well, last time I build a 2X4 stand, the tank I used (40 gallon breeder) sat on the top of the 2X4 frame. The edge of the tank was on the edge of the 2X4 supports. The inner dimensions of the stand were essentially the same as the 40b tank less the thickness of the 2X4s. Since the 40b potential sump is exactly the same width as the 75g display tank (18"), if I build the stand so that it fits right under the edge of the 75g, for greatest support, the inside will be approximately 3" too narrow to accommodate the 40b (accounting for the thickness of the 2X4 on the front and back.?Thats why I was wondering if it would be enough support to use a 3/4" plywood top and build the stand out about 3". The 2X4s will not be directly below the edge of the display tank, but the tank will be about 1" from where the plywood top overlaps the 2X4.Does that make sense?

It does, and I think it would work (guessing, not doing the math on this one). ?Just that I'd probably sacrifice the 3" of height and put the 40b on top of the lower 2x4s (maybe with some extra supports at the ends of the 40b) and keep the front/back dimension at 18".

If you run the? 4 inch dimension the length instead of the depth you only have to make the stand deeper. Then all you have to do is set the tank at the front of the stand.