Diy canopy? - Help please

G

[I really need a canopy for dual 150's and VHO suppliment! Ive never really built anything this big with wood and could use a few pointers for my tank the measurements are 36x19x20.5
I would like the front to open up and the top to open. Would i do this with Hinges or a special type of hinge or what?? Does anyone have plans for something similar as i could convert the measurements maybe. Im a Freshman in high school so make this as simple as possible LOL! How high would i need something like this and will i need to leave the back open? Should i use my glass top under the Canopy to minimize evaporation? I have access to a shop so tools arnt a problem! Sorry for all the questions but i like to make sure everything is covered. O should i paint the inside white blue or just leave it, or should i cover the whole inside with a type of reflector? Well thats it!

Thanks for your time and viewing
Travis]

[You need to beg Barry to attach a picture of his very cool canopy over his tank. I think you'd be able to build it without much trouble, and heat wouldn't be an issue.]

[Hello Travis,

I built mine with a piano hinge (available at home depot) across the top where the front and part of the top hinges open together. You will need ventalation to cool those MH bulbs so you will need to leave the back open and possibly put fans on it. I use the cheap 12v fans from a computer case. I think Brad uses the clip on type from Wall-Mart.

I assume this is a reef tank so you will not want to put any glass between the bulbs and the water because it filters out part of the light the corals need and the extra evaporation helps cool the water temp.

I painted the inside of my canopy white and put reflecters on the metal halides since the VHO bulbs i use have built in reflecters.

You are welcomed to come over and look at mine to see how it is designed. I would suggest you looking at several of our "creations" and get as many ideas as you can, then decide which would be best for you. Also make sure to measure the length of the bulbs with end caps and leave room for them ;o) > . I learned this the hard way on my first attempt.
I hope this helps.]