Daniel’s First Reef: 29 Gallon Cube

Dosed Mg up to 1340, Ca is at 350 so I am going to dose it up too. Think I'll add fish this week with the goal of adding coral next weekend. I was reading the dKH test wrong due to the color of the card not matching the actual titration change. New reading is between 8.4-10.5. Ordered a new test kit to compare the two results.

Awesome man you are heading down the right path man keep it up. The key is staying on top of it.

Two big developments. Nitrite is now zero. So... these guys are now in!View attachment 8657Second order of business is, the Chaeto I bought online arrived today. And it smells like death... it’s green and all, but I wonder if it’s dying. If so, could it crash the system? Should I take it out? I want to give it a while to see if the smell stops. But not if it’ll leach toxins into the system. Here’s the chaeto setup. (I think it posted above).View attachment 8658Please let me know what to do with the chaeto!

So, I tossed the chaeto. The smell only got worse and worse. Enjoying the clowns though! I’ll try and get some non-rotting chaeto when I go to DFW to pick up my corals. 

I've never had very good luck with cheeto. I'm going to go with caulerpa once I populate the fuge 

I've used feather caulerpa for years with no ill effects. I have had it "go sexual" before, where it basically melts.Once it occurred because of too much light. I had always heard and read caulerpa needs a lot of light, even up to 24 hours a day. That is how I started using it and it started melting a few months in. I dialed the light back to 20 hours a day and have had no similar incidents again.The only other time it happened to me was earlier this year. We had our kitchen cabinets painted and I believe the VOC in the paint caused the pH in my tank to plummet and this caused the caulerpa to melt - in addition to killing both shrimp and a few fish.In neither case did the melting caulerpa cause any issue with my system. I siphoned out all the yellow, melting caulerpa I could and ran carbon in the system for a few days until all yellowing in the water went away.  I also grow chaeto in my sump. I'd be happy to give you some of either kind, or both, to try out. 

So, +1 to Carlos's comments. Similar experience with it under different circumstances, sans loss of livestock. It's never been an issue for me, and I feel its been a lot less fuss that cheato has been for me.