Caught the Mantis

Michelle

Premium Member
I told Mike R awhile back that I thought I had a mantis in my display tank. Wasn't sure, but saw eyes watching me from a small cave. Each night the cave would be closed up with rock. Well, last night he didn't close the cave and I watched him reach out and rip a snail out of its shell.

Of course it was a rock at the bottom of the tank. I moved rock and got the mantis rock out. Placed in a container with water up to the opening and waited. After 2 hours I gave up and sniped rock away until the opening was larger and shook the rock. He finally popped out. I thought it would be abt 1-1.5" long, but he is well over 2". And very fat!

will a LFS take him? He is a plain green.

Post him for sale here on the forums. Live aquaria sells the lime green for $20 when they have stock and the really pretty clown mantis for $50. A lot of people have interest in a small mantis only tank because they're just so damn cool. He might be prettier than you realize once under some blues.

They are cool! I kept one in a small acrylic tank for years. It was fun to show people how he could destroy a drinking straw!

He is still alive in a bucket. I was going to put him in the freezer but if someone wants him he's free.

Do you still have him? I work in Plano near Spring Creek and the DNT and could swing by on Friday as tomorrow I am on borrow time to get from my PT job in Plano out to Greenville. I am on shift until Friday morning.

Yes I moved him to a fish bowl with a small power head and some rocks. He eats flake food and likes to watch me.

Pm me for phone And address. I home office so will be home. Just need to schedule pick up between conf calls.