Can only Find Metal Screen Covers

MartinMan

Premium Member
Don't want to use egg crate and can't find anything but metal screen covers, like the Zilla tops.   Just needs to fit a standard 75 gallon 48"X15" tank.  Not good at DIY projects.  If the metal top does not touch the water would it be acceptable. Any suggestions welcome.

Just got on the forum so not a quick response.
2 suggestions.
I have a Red Sea 250 which is about 65 gallons and I had 3 pieces of glass made at Binswanger Glass to fit the top and used some plastic clips that came from JBJ (I had one of their tanks before so I knew about the clips) that slide on the ends. I used 3 pieces so I could open the front one for feeding and to keep the weight of each low. If I want more of the tank open I just remove the appropriate number of panes. Works great. I guess I could post some pics if you're interested.
The second is that at North Dallas Aquarium I noticed that Red Sea has come out with a mesh top and plastic frame that is adjustable to various sizes. The mesh is black plastic material as are the frame pieces. You might check into that.

The RedSea DIY Net top is not plastic.  The bars/frame are aluminum that is painted or anodized black.  Great stuff that is a bit thicker than others.  If you are only looking for the screen itself try Bulk Reef Suppy.  They sell the 1/4" Clear Net pretty cheap.  I have read the net itself is also better than the RedSea Netting.  Best of luck on your search.