Brine Shrimp - Adult

Does anybody raise Brine Shrimp to adults and then feed them to their fish? Or do they not have enough nutriential value to do so?

Usually if we want to "treat" the fish with a brine shrimp meal we purchase a batch from a LFS and enrich them http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/invert.htm.

We do have to 'raise' them for our dwarf SHs but feed them right after hatch. Seems like it's enough for the little horses.

i always loved adult brine shrimp as a kid. i would buy the sea monkey kits all the time. i might consider doing this and adding them to the tank every so often. if anything for a fish that gets hungry for a snack... :eek:

The new hatched or baby brine have more protein than the adults do. This being said, even though my mandarin eats the babies, when I add a dose of the adults he darts around the tank sucking them up before hunting for more babies.

How long will brine shrimp live in your tank (assuming they survive being eaten) Is it safe to just put them in and they will live till they are caught or do you have to worry about die off and polution? Has anyone ever used one of the intank hatcheries?

I guess no one knows. I can tell you that we use baby brine shrimp to feed our beta, Koi, Gold Fish, moly, platy and the rest of fresh water babbies. Since we already raise fresh water babbies and have new cultures of brine shrimp constantly being made over and over I did try to see if they would stay alive in the refugium or in the tank, but as of yet no luck, they seem to just die off or get eatten.