Blue Photo Sponge Collospongia auris

Michelle

Premium Member
Is anyone keeping this sponge? I have one in a low light area that stays dark blue/purple. I understand that if you place it in strong light it turns iridescent blue. Where do you have yours? Are you seeing the iridescent blue coloration? In low light the growth rate is slow, does this increase with higher light levels?

Do you still have this sponge? If so, how is it doing?

I've actually been looking for a frag of this locally. I found some not so local from this personhere:
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/fall-frag-swap-2014/172942-corals-equipment-supplies-swap.html

Would you be willing to frag off a piece? I'd much rather deal with a local :)

Thanks!

I d never seen a sponge with a growth pattern like that. That is really cool. I too would be interested in a frag if you are fragging.

Yes, the sponge is a slow grower, maybe 2"-3"square or so a year. Actually have 4 frags growing out now. I'm trying to learn growth rates in high flow and light variables. This is a slick skinned sponge and can be fragged in air. I had my frag starter up high under 800w T5s and this really got it growing.

Just placed 2 of the frags in my LED tank to see how they do. So far they appear to be doing great. Honestly have no idea what sell for. I paid $20 for a 1"frag from Fish Tomorrow. I think they lost theirs in the move.

If your keeping your water perams ideal for coral growth then the sponge will grow slow. Sponge is a filter feeder and don't need a lot of light. In an established reef tank it's one of many filter feeders. If you want it to grow faster you should put it in a high nutrient system. This comment is based on my personal experience so its about reliable as the lotto numbers on a fortune cookie. =D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say this is definitely different then most sponges. As most sponges you can see the water intake "mouth". This one has non of those and looks like a soft plating coral.

OCt2274, I have two small frags that are ready. One larger one can go in a week. Personally, I'd wait for the larger one as it has a more interesting or "cool" growth. I can send you pics of all 3.

Steve is correct. This sponge really does looks more like a soft plating coral and feels like rubber.

@murphyme wrote:
OCt2274 said:
I apologize for not getting back to you. My parents were in town, then I had to leave town for a business trip and it's just be crazy honestly. Would I be able to pick up that frag tomorrow by chance?