Baby Picassos

@Mikii wrote:
Why does every one use PVC for hiding places? Why not live rock? Just a question said:
I personally use it because it is significantly cheaper than live rock.

@Burbarry wrote:
This is very cool. Are you planning on getting rid of any of them? said:
Yes, I will be selling them once they are around 1 inch long.

@Mikii wrote:
HAven't heard in a while... said:
Sorry keep forgeting to take and post pictures.

@cabi wrote:
This is really cool!! said:
Thank you very much!

@Badbrad8500 wrote:
Thanks, will do, I am hoping to find them all good homes once they are big enough.

A few pictures of the little guys I think they are about 1/2inch long or so.
[attachment=2]clowns1.JPG[/attachment]
They are all still doing great! Haven't had anymore loses. As you can see most of their second stripes have filled in. Their last tailstripe will follow but usually takes quite a while to fill in. The automatic feeders feed them 3 times a day still and I usually make it home once a week to change their water.

[attachment=1]clowns2.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]clowns3.JPG[/attachment]

I just found your post and have found it to be wonderful! I have a pair of Black Ice that I have been thinking of breeding and you have just renewed my interest by making it seem doable. I thank you, though my husband probably won't. LOL
I'll be following along and can't wait to see how they do in your new grow out tanks.

@KDC wrote:
I thank you said:
[smilie=surprised.gif] How can that be? Just tell him you'll sell them for a billion dollars! I talked my husband into two different types of rare clowns that way! [smilie=clapping.gif] [smilie=rofl.gif] For the 2nd pair you explain you can't house 2 pairs of clowns together and make puppy eyes! [smilie=itwasntme.gif] [smilie=kiss.gif]

And if you have to drive to the airport because they were shipped across the country, you make him breakfast in bed to wake him up for the 6am flight.

[smilie=surprised.gif] How can that be? Just tell him you'll sell them for a billion dollars! I talked my husband into two different types of rare clowns that way! [smilie=clapping.gif] [smilie=rofl.gif] For the 2nd pair you explain you can't house 2 pairs of clowns together and make puppy eyes! [smilie=itwasntme.gif] [smilie=kiss.gif]

And if you have to drive to the airport because they were shipped across the country, you make him breakfast in bed to wake him up for the 6am flight.[/quote]

[smilie=rofl.gif] [smilie=rofl.gif]
I just convinced him to let me upgrade my display tank and set up smaller tanks for the two pairs of clowns I have. LOL Now I am waiting to see of I can get them to breed well enough to afford the rare clowns that I'd like! [smilie=wink.gif]

Wow you make this look so easy I almost want to try to start breeding my pair but then I wake up and realize it is a bunch of work!

Great job!!

@KDC wrote:
I just found your post and have found it to be wonderful! I have a pair of Black Ice that I have been thinking of breeding and you have just renewed my interest by making it seem doable. I thank you said:
Thank you very much good luck with your clowns, and your husband lol. If you decide to try to raise some feel free to send me any questions you might have.

@K_Red_Raider wrote:
Wow you make this look so easy I almost want to try to start breeding my pair but then I wake up and realize it is a bunch of work! Great job!! said:
Yes it can be a bunch of work but it is very rewarding, and even fun when you get to share them with everyone. Thanks.

UPDATE: I have a few pictures from 10/17/12 before I cleaned their tank (sorry about the algae I like to take the pictures before I clean as it can get cloudy looking after cleaning).

[attachment=2]Oct17c1.JPG[/attachment]
Some clowns like the one in focus above have their white finished coming in except for a little bit that will continue to develop on their tails. If you look really really close on the one in focus, at his tail up against the white is a darker color than the normal orange. This darker area will turn to white over time, it actually has a silvery color in person right before it turns to white. There are still a few with more white coming in but most have much of their white color and some are already even developing some black which usually takes much longer to fill in.

[attachment=1]Oct17c2.JPG[/attachment]
They are all around 1/2 inch long. This one is several inches further back than the tape measure but I couldn't get them to get near the tape measure without freaking out so this is the best I can do for size reference.

[attachment=0]Oct17c3.JPG[/attachment]

@KCaquatics wrote:
Fry day 32: [attachment=2]Fry day 32.JPG[/attachment] All the little fish are doing great. [attachment=1]Fry day 32c.JPG[/attachment] [attachment=0]Growout.JPG[/attachment] Well here it is said:
Hows that set up going?

@Mikii wrote:
Hows that set up going? said:
Well one of the two tanks is running great. Unfortunately the other tank started leaking again. It ran for around 3 weeks with no problems that I could see until I found the small leak. For now I have given up on that tank as I have already resealed it 2 or 3 times (obviously I'm not very good at reselling tanks lol). On top of that I don't really have time to try to fix it now as I am busy with school. So unfortunately for now I will only have one of the two tanks running until I have a chance to find the leak and fix it.

Your post has been inspiring. I love the images and progressive posts. I have come to consider buying a Picasso clown after seeing yours. I am presently awaiting a clutch of ocellaris babies and will follow your history to assist in a more productive survival rate. I had my first clutch back in March and was only able to get seven through the various stages of growth. Thanks for a great post with incredible images!

@megwood wrote:
Your post has been inspiring. I love the images and progressive posts. I have come to consider buying a Picasso clown after seeing yours. I am presently awaiting a clutch of ocellaris babies and will follow your history to assist in a more productive survival rate. I had my first clutch back in March and was only able to get seven through the various stages of growth. Thanks for a great post with incredible images! said:
Thank you very much. Don't be discouraged by your first clutch. You actually did much better than me on my first try. I only kept 1 alive past meta and it eventually died at around 1 month old. But afterwards I did tons of research and was much more sucessful my second attempt. Good luck with your fish and feel free to shoot any questions you might have my way. I can't answer everything but I have definatley made my share of stupid mistakes that I can help you avoid. Thanks again.

Thanks for the note and encouragement. I shared your post today with another clownfish home-grower here in South LA so you may have another follower soon. About how old are the babies when you sell them? I saw the ones you sold back in the summer and they looked to be a good size. Also you appear to have alot of people who are willing to pay around $100 for them, at least from the interest on this site. How hard has it been to sell them once ready to go. Thanks again!

@megwood wrote:
Thanks for the note and encouragement. I shared your post today with another clownfish home-grower here in South LA so you may have another follower soon. About how old are the babies when you sell them? I saw the ones you sold back in the summer and they looked to be a good size. Also you appear to have alot of people who are willing to pay around $100 for them said:
I wait until the babies are around 1 inch long. I wait however long it takes them to reach that size (I have read at this size they handle shipping and stress better and thus are more likely to survive). It is usually around 4-6 months but some will grow much faster and be ready sooner and others seem to hide and stay small for much longer. The ones I sold on here last time were around 6-8 months old I think. I actually didn't know about this site until then so I had sold most of the hatch to stores in the area before I posted any of them on here. Getting rid of them isn't hard, so to speak, it just takes time due to the small market for "designer" clowns. I only raise 1 hatch per year so I am not overwhelmed with thousands of clowns at a time (if the demand for them grows I would raise them more often). Last time it took probably around 3-4 months to sell them from selling the first to selling the last and I would guess I had around 150 clowns. If you were considering mass breeding I would definately check with local stores and how many they would be willing to buy periodically. Otherwise, you will end up with tons of clowns you can't get rid of. Especially with "designer" clowns as the market is a bit smaller due to the higher price tag. I am actually excited to see how many people on here will want them. As I said I had already sold most of the last hatch over the course of a few months to fish stores in the area. I really enjoy selling them on here as I get to meet their new owner and see their excitement about my fish. I actually even had a few people make the hour and a half drive from dallas to where I live to personally pick their clown fish out. That was before I listed them on here and they had a choice of probably around 100 clowns which was really fun to meet them, talk about their tank, and let them pick the exact clowns they wanted. Overall its not something I could make a living on. I try to make enough money to pay for the things I need for the clowns, and then use any thats left on my reef tank lol.

Thank you for the further details. My current clutch is hatching as we speak and have already begun to use some of your techniques to improve my hatch survival rate. I am pretty sure too, if you are able to ship, that one of your Texan Picasso's will likely become a Louisiana Picasso hopefully in the near future! PS I love your images and look forward to any more you get a chance to take as they grow!!

I just realized you have 3 rbta and 2 carpet anemones, I believe, in the same tank in the beginning of this thread. How have you been able to accomplish this as I thought you could not successfully keep two species of anemones in the same tank? I also saw a common trend in most of what I have seen and read of the carpet anemones eating the fish life. Please share your success on this as the carpets in your tank are amazing.