Baby Fish in Refugium

IC Casey

Premium Member
Now, I don't actually expect anyone to ID this. But last week I noticed a baby fish swimming in the refugium chamber of my sump. For reference, this is a fairly new Cobalt C-vue 40 with the built-in chambers and filter socks .My best guess is that this somehow came in the macros, which have been present since March-April. Otherwise, is it possibly from the firefish? I've only seen this one. It's about the size of a guppy, and color-wise, could be anything. Shows grey-brown right now. I have to assume it's likely a common captive-bred/tank raised type of fish. At what point would you try and capture/move something like this into the display? I think it should stay a little while and obviously the refugium is probably the best area for food sources currently.View attachment 5151Picture is pretty crummy, but it's the best I could do. It disappears easily and for days at a time .

Update. There's at least 2. One is more colored up than the other, mottled brown-grey with orange on the anal fin. I got a better picture of the one with less color.  They seem to be going at each other.  View attachment 5153

View attachment 5158 if this is the pic that does look an aweful lot like a guppy... guppies are pretty hardy. A long time ago a lionfish owner used to feed his guppies and he had some which were there out maneuvering his lionfish for months. Where did you get the macro algae? If it'sa guppy and you don't have an agreesive fish tank I'd pull him before he dies. 

Posted by: BrianC [ATTACH type="full said:
5158[/ATTACH] if this is the pic that does look an aweful lot like a guppy... guppies are pretty hardy. A long time ago a lionfish owner used to feed his guppies and he had some which were there out maneuvering his lionfish for months. Where did you get the macro algae? If it'sa guppy and you don't have an agreesive fish tank I'd pull him before he dies. "]Got the macro from an online vendor in mid-March.I know, it looks a LOT like a guppy to me, too, but that timeline doesn't seem to make sense.