Baby Banggai

BlennyLover

Membership Expired
Tonight was water change ... and in my barrel was a little itty bitty black and whitish/silver and clear thing moving. I scooped it up and it is a baby banggai. (I'll post the pic tomorrow) The only place I had to put it was in my refugium. I went searching the DT to see if there were others and found 2 live and one dead. My only means to get them out was with a turkey baster and those 2 are in the fuge as well. It's been about two hours now. I don't see anymore and can only find 2 of the 3, but the other could be hiding in the caulerpa.

HELP ... what do I feed them -- how often?. How much light do they get/ how long? What is the optimum water temp for them? What can I do to assure they live? Is there a *critical* period?

I have Otohime TDO ... rotifeast, phytofeast/live, ROE, oysterfeast and frozen foods

Too cool! Hope they do well.

You are probably at the brine hue plus and Cyclopeez stage, check out the Banggai article in this newsletter http://www.dfwmas.org/Newsletters/archive/2008/august.pdf

@Wes wrote:
Thank you Wes!

I had one more this morning, much bigger than those last night. Very fast and was getting around the tank to get away from me just fine. I finally caught him. He is staying by himself in the fuge. The male released a few more tonight and now there is a total of 8. Doesn't seem like many compared to what I've read. I'm aware of 8 dead over the last 2 nights ... 3 on the bottom of the tank and 5 caught by one of the MP10 foam. Actually 6 where one made it when I shut it down and removed the foam ...he took off. The adult males mouth is closed now, but I thought I saw more ... not sure. ... but he didn't eat.

Up until a few days ago ... I thought he may be carrying, but wasn't for certain ... now I know.

I'm going to overnight the brine kit and hope to keep them alive. ... all 8 of them. soooooo excited!!!!

I have 6 of them left and they were in a 20g tank that was plumbed into the main dt. I think they are so much easier to raise than the clowns I had raised. I love the fact that they are mini me's of the parents. Mine are about 6 months old now and will tear some mysis up now. I did start mine out on APBreed TDO-A and worked up to TDO-C untill they could eat frozen. Tried the baby brine but they never really ate that. Good luck and cannot wait to see the pictures.

@Wes wrote:
Good luck! I'd love to buy one if they make it said:
... for all you do ... the first survivor is for you! [smilie=wink.gif]

This was just luck on the male/female pairing I guess. I also didn't think they were OF AGE yet to be having babies. Thought I would have another year to think about it and set something up. I purchased 3 from Mukymuk that 2 survived and 2 from liveaquaria. Not knowing the sex, both pairs were split just in case. One pair did not survive the major electrical issue I had (I told Marc about it). These 2 paired day one and whalaa! [smilie=surprised.gif] The only differences so I knew who was who was the fish from Mukymuk had many spots vs the ones from LiveAquaria and the ones from Mukymuk seems to be shorter coupled (for lack of a better way to explain it -- tip to tip isn't as long looking).

@Lance wrote:
I have 6 of them left and they were in a 20g tank that was plumbed into the main dt. I think they are so much easier to raise than the clowns I had raised. I love the fact that they are mini me's of the parents. Mine are about 6 months old now and will tear some mysis up now. I did start mine out on APBreed TDO-A and worked up to TDO-C untill they could eat frozen. Tried the baby brine but they never really ate that. Good luck and cannot wait to see the pictures. said:
That is soooooooo good to know as I let the guy at Reed Mariculture talk me OUT OF the brine kit since the babies were still swimming day 2 and all I had was rotifeast to feed them. He thinks the flow in the fuge is just enough that they were tricked into thinking live food was going by them. All eight still in the fuge. The larger one stays by himself.

He is twice the size of the others. I really wonder if he is part of this brood. Is that possible that there was a brood prior to this? If so, I would think he would be a LOT bigger than just double this itty bitty size of the others. Not sure how I would have missed it. I spend an hour or 2 each night with the flash light. In the DT there were 3 power heads going and he was swimming back and forth toward the back without any issues. When I feed, he bolts right out into the open while the other 7 still huddle in the caulerpa. Very different behavior. The bigger one is swimming down low close to the mud while the little ones are almost at the surface.

I have no clue on lighting for them. I left the light on the first night. I wasn't sure about frightening them, but went ahead and shut the lights off for 4 hours yesterday. I added some snails as I know that much light is going to bring me some algae issues, though it should stay confined to the fuge only being the black walls to contain the light.

I have the TDO-A arriving this morning with more Rotifeast. That's it ... no live food. I'm worried, but hopeful. I wasn't ready or prepared for this.

The first picture is what I took not knowing I had a live fish. I was probably shaking as it is blurry. The second one looks like he has POPEYE, but he doesn't ... that is just the illusion from the camera against the round container. Third one is a strange angle but clear. He is not missing a fin. [smilie=lol.gif]

I tried to get pictures of all eight, but can't with the reflection from the light and with the light off, my cheap camera doesn't see anything but black. All 4 walls are black acrylic so I can only look down to get a picture. I'll keep trying.

Well, I have not seen the larger one for 3 days now.

I lost one to the daddy who ATE him about an hour ago. Not sure how one got back into the display, but when I went to feed tonight, he shot up to the surface. No one seemed to notice him until he went back down toward the sand. All this time, I am trying to figure out how to get him they are too big for the turkey baster now. He settled under the frag rack and the mom and dad came and checked him out while they were still having a feeding frenzy, but left him alone. I cut the tip on my Julian's thing, then attempted to coach him out for me to get him. He bolted and the daddy ate him. He didn't think twice about it. As long as he was slow swimming the others didn't care, but as soon as he was moving fast, he became food. Yes, I actually waited to see if he was going to let him go, but he ate him instantly.

Very sad!

Well, I was down to 6. Set up the biocube for them 3 weeks ago. Moved them exactly 10 days ago. Did a 25% water change on Friday ... Today there were 2 dead on the bottom ... 3 more were struggling and still are ... one is fine!

Not sure what happened here :-(

Doesn't look good! I am about to take the 3 and put them back in the refugium and hope for the best. Not sure if I should do anything with the one that is fine ???

5:30pm update: I decided not to move anyone and cause any undue stress. Looks like the wrong choice as -- The 3 have died ... one left and still unaffected.

@BlennyLover wrote:
... one left and still unaffected. said:
Was fine last night -- bolting around and eating all he could ... dead this morning.

IF there is a NEXT time ... they will grow out in the fuge.

Sorry to hear that..........Mine started culling the pack and ended up giving the last two to my dad.

I'm hoping this round will be a good one.

The female was doing a little dance for over an hour yesterday going equally from the left side of the male to the right with a little shake once in a while. I didn't see anything or any transfer before I left, but when I returned about 2 hours later, the male's jaw definitely looked squared. ... AND ... last night and tonight ... the male did NOT eat. I'm guessing, that he is carrying eggs.

[smilie=smile.gif] [smilie=clapping.gif] [smilie=smile.gif] [smilie=clapping.gif] [smilie=smile.gif]

Well ... today is the 4th time (I am aware of) since babies above that the male has taken the sack. The 3 previous to this ... he carried for couple of days to a week at most. This time he keeps opening his mouth as if to rearrange (every few minutes) ... hopefully he'll carry to term :)

@BlennyLover wrote:
Well ... today is the 4th time (I am aware of) since babies above that the male has taken the sack. The 3 previous to this ... he carried for couple of days to a week at most. This time he keeps opening his mouth as if to rearrange (every few minutes) ... hopefully he'll carry to term :-) said:
This went the same as previous ... mouth empty days later.

BUT ... he took a HUGE sack on August 28th. He's been releasing for a couple of days now, but the babies are attached to a yoke (like not ready). All that I've caught and put in the refugium a dead within a few hours.

Maybe next time. It has to happen one of these days.

Too cool! Hope they do well.You are probably at the brine hue plus and Cyclopeez stage, check out the Banggai article in this newsletter