Are pistol shrimp seriously that bad??

Celestial_star03

Membership Expired
I have a tiger pistol in my tank about 3-4 in long by 2 in wide. I am wondering if it is te to remove him, he is not paired with a goby. I never see him come out anymore but I hear loud snaps all night, I have heard that is him threatening the fish and I know he has killed 1 fish so any opinions on how beneficial they really are and how to get him out. Thank you.

I remember seeing a TV show that showed them in Slow motion and the heat it gave off was unreal....I think it was Nat Geo Wild
I think this is the video
http://youtu.be/QXK2G2AzMTU

I love pistol shrimps, and always have at least one in my tank, but the size of the one you have would concern me.....especially if you know he has already killed one fish. I don't believe that they actively go hunting for fish for prey, but they are opportunistic like most crustaceans, and wouldn't pass up an easy meal.

I have caught them before with an inverted water bottle in front of their cave. Used a piece of shrimp for bait. He went right in within an hour of my lights going out.

The one he killed wandered into his hole, so sort of not his fault since he didn't hunt him down. I know he kills lots of snails and hermits too, I will try to catch him tonight, does someone want him if I can, as a pet not food for something. I have had him a long time so that doesn't seen fair.

Is it one of the types of goby that will pair? In any case, I had an unpaired tiger pistol and added a yellow watchman and it took about 30 seconds for them to pair up. They've been together ever since. No guarantees though.

The snapping all night is most likely him breaking off tiny pieces of rock and/or chasing off bristle worms. I have pistol shrimp in several of my tanks and only one threatens fish so he's in a tank with nothing but the Condy he's paired with and he still snaps a lot. However my other pistols are both candy canes so they aren't big and they both are paired so I can't be certain about the tiger.

It's a 4 in diamond watchman that's in there, I will keep watching he definitely has been renovating a lot the last few days so I dunno.

Yellow watchman, Randall's goby, Yasha haze, pink bar watchman all are ones that literally do nothing but guard holes until they find a shrimp to pair with. Where are you located?

I am in Cedar Hill, sorry way too many issues recently. I am still having the same issue with this dumb shrimp I have tried everything to catch him and he has killed another mandarin and a sea hare that was an epic mess. Everytime I try to bait him he moves his hole and I took out about half the rock work, some can't be removed and still no avail. He caused a landslide that fragged out my corals too. He is just too large for that tank and I think that's why he's such a butt with all the live rock and only a 4 in bed he is bored so he sits around killing hermits and unlucky fish. I guess I'll give up if I can't catch him eventually :(.

Sounds like you're having a heck of a time with him. I'm pretty good at improvising and problem solving so if you want a little assistance I'd be willing to give it a shot. Let me know.