Any one in Nocona area?

Hello,
New to the forum and to salt water aquariums. Any one here from around Nocona?
This is my first salt water tank, 39 Gallon, aragonite substrate, I only have maybe 5 lbs of base rock in it, Canister filter (thinking of building sump), running 2 Lee counter current skimmers,
Current livestock 2 Ocellaris Clown Fish, 5 Margarita snails (3 coralline and 2 black).

I know that the 2 Clowns will be about all of the fish that I should keep in a tank this size. I am waiting to find some where to get a decent cleaning crew with breaking the bank. Petco is a fortune for hermit crabs and snails (not to mention live rock I think they think it is gold) also it is unfortunately the only LFS that is any where close except Natures Half Acre.
How are they one quality and price?

Nice to be here,
jerryclunsford

Welcome and thanks for letting us know you are out there. There are a couple of guys out of Henrietta that are on here some. BJ and Critter are their names. Hopefully they will chime in and welcome you also. Few folks out of Wichita post on here as well.
As far as livestock goes, I would say that Natures 1/2 acre is OK. Their prices on fish can either be descent, or just outrageous at times. I think blue leg crabs, and turbo snails are like $1 each, but don't hold me to that since I haven't bought any of them in quite a while. Quality is basically, what you see is what you get. They often have sick fish so I would QT anything you get. They have some coral. Usually 3 price ranges. Something like 29, 49, 69, or something like that.

I would suggest just ordering some rock from Marco rocks, or from Bulk Reef Supply (Pukani is really nice stuff). It is dry rock, but since you already are set up and have cycled, you can just rinse it and throw it in. Cheaper than buying local by a bunch on the rock.

Hope this helps, and again welcome!

I'm in Alvord. The sump will work much better for you than the canister filter. Petco has the $1/gal sales you could get a tank cheap. Are you planning on adding corals or just sticking to fish?

John221,
I am looking to get into some coral and an anemone. I can get my hand on 10 gallon free. just haven't got to the point of getting it and re-plumbing the pump in my canister should work it is rated at 500 gph I have not checked it without media but I will before I start to set up a sump.

I wish I could get 135 gallon Oceanic tank I have in the house, but alas no room right now.
jerryclunsford

welcome nice to have another reefer out here. I am in henrietta and as luck has it i am coming to nocona this weekend give me a call ( i will pm my # ) NHA is risky critter has more experience with them than I do. all of my coral has come from members here on dfwmas or stores in the metroplex.
I too suggest getting the refugium going it is just so much easier than cleaning a canister filter.

Welcome to the forum Jerry. If you have any questions or concerns don't be afraid to post, the forum is really helpful.

Thanks for the welcome.
No questions right now. Just watching my fish grow and learning as I go.
It is probably a little early for me to get into coral until I have more experience ( I will get into it after I am more confident in my ability not to kill them)
jerry

Hello and welcome!
First off, I will say, stay away from NHA!

Your best bet on a clean up crew would have to be reefcleaners.org or reeftopia.com depending on what you're wanting.
As for livestock, I have nothing in my tank that I ever bought from NHA. All of my livestock came from mail order or DFW area.

If you get to the point you're ready to order by mail/internet, I may be open to splitting the freight with you, or maybe getting our joint order up high enough to get free freight?
Depends on funds and how the tank is going...

Critter,
Tank is doing great, up over 4 months fish in it for 2, everything stable so far. Getting ready to set up a sump as soon as my brother brings me a 10 gallon tank I have at his house.
Still trying to figure out what I am going to put in it. I guess I will put in two dividers and have the protein skimmer in there, then some macro algae, and the pump chamber after that. I don't know about mechanical filtration in the sump or not. I could use a sock on the input or something like a bubble separator that might take out any solids.
How is you sump set up?
jerry

Mine is just a large tank with one divider to separate my return pump.
I really should have at least one more and used to, but I had to take out the one I had separating my input pipe when I got my new skimmer. It was too big to fit in the partition I had. Now I just have the input, skimmer and chaeto in one section, and a top/bottom partition to separate my return pump.