75 Gallon Build

Heath

Membership Expired
Well, I'm moved to Florida and settled in, and decided I would go back to where it all started... a 75 gallon. I haven't got much done yet other then drilled the tank for a glass-holes threejole, a 3/4 return line, and I'm currently working on the stand. I should have doors built, stand painted, and maybe the sump finished off by next weekend. Then its on to plumbing. I'll try to remember to keep things updated.View attachment 2299

I luv a 75g tank they are a great size. My first sw tank was a 75g.  How it going so far? Is it running yet?

I never really did much with this tank, and ultimately converted over to fresh before I ever really had time to get into salt... and then I broke it down and moved back DFW recently. I'm setting it back up for salt, and recently ordered 100lbs of live rock and other items during live aquaria's 20% sale.Its caribsea's moani dry rock, and it was a pretty good deal at 20% off. Came in good manageable sizes with out too much rubble and wasn't terrible dirty either. A couple of pieces had obviously been cut up, and I'm pretty sure this stuff is exactly the same as BRS reef saver or Marco rocks. Its in a brute trash can cycling away... just a matter of time.View attachment 7969

Whoohoo! That rock looks good and should lay flat and be nice and sturdy, glad your getting it going now. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks.The stand needs to be refinished, something I plan to do while the rock cycles. I'm either going to work on sanding and repainting the stand or building my QT setup this weekend. Not sure which one I want to do first, but I think I should maybe get the QT going first.I'll work on getting more pictures as I go.

Welcome back, so glad you're setting up your system.  You coming to the BOD meeting on the 20th?

Got the old stand sanded down and repainted. Had a run on of the panels. Sanded and touched up with a brush but not quite happy with the results. I have plenty of time, so I may sand again and spray it. Im slowly putting together my QT setup.View attachment 8006

I just used a big sponge filter with air pump myself. Easy to rinse, put it in a little bucket of RO and squeeze a few times and then back in.

Still havent got the QT stand built but i did get the 150 gpd RODI installed. This thing really moves some water, much happier with this than I was with my old 75 GPD unit. Also surprised how quiet the booster pump is.View attachment 8133

Alright, been a long time since I've updated the build thread, but I've managed to make more progress. I got the stand build for my QT and dropped power to the closet where it is being housed. Finished painted everything and fixing a run on one of the panels. Tank stand has been moved indoors and the cycle on the live rock has actually taken off and "completed".I had an issue with letting ammonia go past 8ppm per the test kit I had. The two raw shrimp I added was an uncontrolled method of introducing ammonia and obviously too much. I had to do a large water change on the trash can and introduce more bacteria to get it to start up. For two weeks it did practically nothing.View attachment 8413I will be routing an a line outside for a fresh air supply to the skimmer, and setting up an automatic water change. 

Got the aquarium leak checked and hooked up the majority of my equipment. Adding salt now.View attachment 8475I could probably do a better job of organizing all the wiring, but I think this gets the job done and I'm mostly happy with it. I need to add a pH probe to the Apex. My old one dried out and went bad during the move.View attachment 8477I had to cut down this giant mirror before I could run the osmolator power and ro line through the wall.View attachment 8478And now I have some fish in QT. Currently ramping up copper over the next 4 days with the goal of 2ppm. Added a cheapo powerhead. I was afraid the sponge filter wouldn't provide enough gas exchange.View attachment 8480