55g to 100g upgrade

Slimshadyjo1

Membership Expired
Hello all. So far, for the last 2 years, I have pretty much been a closet reefer. Lurking through thousands of threads on here. Reading, studying, observing and applying things to my tank. So far I have done everything as low budget as possible and will to continue to venture further with a budget conscious point of view. To start my introduction here, I am currently housing 1 medium foxface, 2 bengii cardinals, two oscilaris clowns (1 orange and 1 black), a scooter blenny, and 1 filefish in a 55 standard. Along with 8 different types of corals, I have outgrown this tank. Not only did I outgrow it, everything started falling apart on it all around the same time. So my search began for a new tank.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Welcome! Glad to have you as an active member of DFWMAS. BE sure to post lots of pics and update your build thread often. Can't wait to see the progress!

Long story short, this is what I ended up getting thanks to my better half
8de274cd66ac0344f14a754f3a099f3a.jpg
alt=""> I believe it's a 100 gallon. It's half the size of what I had been searching for but can't complain since it's way better then my current situation. Got it cheap from a friend getting out of the fresh water hobby. The misses and I agreed on me "building up" to the 200+ gallon tank I wanted and I can't agree more. After all the fish (mainly the foxface) will really enjoy the extra room for now until they outgrow it.

This is what I came up with for my hob overflow since im not sure if the glass is tempered and can't drill a hole

[attachment=0]1454745822879.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]1454745883848.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]1454745908129.jpg[/attachment]

If you know the manufacturer, you can call them and ask if the glass is tempered. I believe there is a thread somewhere on here that tells you how to tell if your glass is tempered, but the manufacturer will KNOW.If you can drill it, I suggest you do so. HOB overflows work well, I use one, and they are cheap enough. I just had to replace my tank, and didn't have the time to drill the new one. There are many on here that have drilled their tanks and I believe Marc has a video on the subject.

This tank looks homemade and the polarized glasses with a phone behind trick didn't work since the back panel is black glass

It just dawned on me that I may be able to drill the bottom pane. Is that possible?

So my original plan to fill and cycle the 100 gallon then move everything over and convert the old 55 into a sump and slide it up under he tank is not going to work. Back to the drawing board. The only way to get the 55 under the stand is to set the 55 on the floor first then set the stand over it then put the 100 on top. Im thinking the only way to do it is to move everything from the 55 into buckets/totes to get it empty and under the new stand. Then fill the 100 using half new water and half cycled from old tank and hope it doesn't hurt anything with the water chemistry. Wouldn't this be ok? Kinda seems like just doing a large water change.

Once everything settles I plan to later add more cycled live rock slowly and more sand or would it be better to add that in while moving everything over. This is my first tank move/upgrade so any advice would be greatly appreciated

This is a new build and should be treated as such. as far as the rock goes, if it has been cured properly, you can add it anytime. sand can be added, but if your plan is a DSB, IMO, you should add that in the beginning so the bacteria can start to build. adding more sand slows this down dramaticly.

https://vimeo.com/174129034 after a long delay, I'm finally putting this tank together. Being my first tank/sump build I would like to know if I'm missing anything here other then a check valve? This is the return line in the middle split off to slowly drop some water in the sump.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk