250 gl tank

A friend (Jeff) and,my husband and I had a very interesting day today. One of our employees bought a couple of bearded dragons for her kids and wanted a big tank to put them in . She found someone wanting to sell their 6ft long aquarium for $50.00. She said she would give me whatever was in the tank for free. She didn't need the fish and she didn't want them to die. I agreed and immediately got on the phone to Jeff. My husband , Jeff and I headed out to Kilgore,Tx. this morning to clean out the tank and its inhabitants.

Boy were we ever surprised when we walked in. It was a huge tank...250 gl. Originally we figured it was probably around 125 gl. There were only 3 fish but there was so much algae it was hard to see. There was a Trigger and a couple of damsels. THe gal had not done a water change in 2-3 years. All she ever did was to top off. The tank was a DAS type of tank. (filter, sump tank all in one) There was a bunch of LR in there...no coraline...just algae. Actually I think the algae will be fairly easy to get off. Most rocks were not completely covered. I don't know how many lbs of crushed coral there was....a bunch! That was all thrown out along with the bioballs. It's a good thing we were there or they never would have gotten even the water pumped out. The heaters burst as they were fooling with them and the gals pump was burning up. It was all an electrical hazard!!! We threw out all outlet strips and lighting. They were all really cruddy looking and we didn't want to take any chances.

Jeff rolled up his sleeves and got busy taking out rock. We had no idea there was that much rock. Thank goodness we had brought a bunch of tubs , chests, and buckets and most of all and item that no one should be without in this hobby.....SHOP VAC!!! We got out as much water as we could and then went to town with the shop vac getting the rest of the water and the crushed coral. The shop vac is so powerful and really made the job go a lot faster. We changed out the sand bed in my tank the other nite and used the shop vac also and it worked like a charm..

It took 6 men to carry this monster out to the truck and we really could have used more. Their faces were all really red trying to keep from dropping it and at one pt I thought it was going to crash to the floor. The top of the tank cracked a bit as it hit the door. Was too big to go easily through the door. Jeff had thought about buying the tank himself (the one with the pet dragons didn't realize what a monster tank this was and was kind of hoping Jeff would take it off her hands.) I'm really glad that he decided against it. You could hear it cracking a bit when it was forced off the stand it had been sitting on. Jeff got a Magnum 350 canister out of the deal. We'll have to check tomorrow and see if it works.

Anyway, we finally made it back home and put the rock in a new 96 gl trash can. I'm glad I already had 50 gls of salt water already made up. It took every drop of that water and I could probably use 5 gls more. There's probably around 300-400 lbs of live rock and may be more. Jeff is fixed up now with FREE rock for his aggressive tank. I don't know how much live rock costs. I've never bought any. Loyd says he wants an aggressive tank but I don't know about that. We may fix up my 55 gl qt for something now that we have the rock...something small. He's been wanting a lion fish for a long time.

Is a 55 gl big enough for a lion fish?

I'm kind of worn out after all of that. I think I'll be going to bed early tonight.

How was your weekend?

Cindy

_________

12 gl Nano reef and 120 gl reef,fish,coral; 160 lbs. of LR, 250 lbs of LS. Aqua C EV 180 skimmer,&PC lighting. A new 44 gl sump/fuge (to be installed). Regal Tang, Yellow Tang, Foxface, 2 Lyre tail Anthias, 2 Blue-Green Chromis, Clarki Clown, Coral Beauty, Spotted Hawk Fish, Pink spotted goby,Open Brains, Crocea Clam , Mandarin, Skunk Clown, Huge BTA and lots of LPS.

<hr class="bbcode_rule" />

Cindy

I would highly recommend "cooking" that live rock. There is a sticky in one of these forums that has good directions. Basically it is to remove all the bad stuff stuck in the rock, especially with the poor water conditions that tank had. If nothing else put the rock in a closed up container with zero light to kill off the algae (still submerged in SW of course).

Oh, and if decide you don't need it all I'm sure you will find plenty of people to take some off you hands (like me :D ).

And on the lion fish I would say it depends on the size of the fishy. I had one in a 75g tank and felt bad because it was too big for it (6" deeper than 55). He was pretty big at probably 12 head to tail. They grow fast and a 55g is only 12 wide, so I probably wouldn't recommend it, sorry.

The only caveat to using that rock at all, as neglected as that tank appeared to be, do you know if it was ever medicated? Specifically copper based meds have a nasty tendency of being absorbed into the rock being very difficult to clean out...

Other than that... What a find! :)

Congrats. LR is very expensive from the LFS.

The "cooking" method is in a sticky'd thread in the DIY Forum.

Thanks for the info, I will look up the cooking method. Right now it is in a 96 gl trash can with the lid closed. I have a couple of ph and 2 heaters going in it.

We were so excited about our find that I didn't think to ask if they had medicated the tank. I know that she did use a mycin of some type. We found the old package undeath the tank. I don't remember the name but maybe Jeff will. It didn't raise any red flags to me though. This tank also had a previous owner before her.

Will cooking the rock take care of it if it has been medicated with cooper? And what all are the effects of residual cooper?

I have a leak starting and I don't know what to do. I'll will start another thread on that. I'm getting pretty nervous about it..just found it this morning.

Thanks! Cindy

When you tore the tank down did you find any invertebrae alive. Any snails or corals or any life execept the fish and algae? Copper has a residual affect where it adheres to the liverock and then continually leaches into the water. It kills invertebrae, thats why I asked about them.

Nope! There was nothing else alive however, they got tired of taking care of it and didn't do any water changes for 2-3 years. I figured that's what got them but I don't know, maybe cooper was involved. I'll see if I can possibly get the gals phone number.

Cindy

Thanks, I'll be in Dallas this week and I'll run by there and pick up a kit. Do they also carry the cyclopeze bar?

Cindy

I dont think they do carry the cylopeeze bar . I have a huge one left over from the group buy a few mos back.
If your coming in fri-sunday you could surely come over for it.

Thanks, I'm afraid this week is going to be kind of crazy with the holidays and now a funeral. Thanks for the offer, but I'd better pass.

Cindy