180 gal new setup - I need your opnions please....!

[Guys and Gals,

I plan to upgrade my tank to 180 gal room divider, one overflow at one end with 4 holes. The tank dimension is 72x24x25. I have NO experience of working with PVC, bulkhead size, PVC size. I want to have my tank drill for future reference. I plan to keep mix soft and sps which are VHO friendly.

If drill the tank, where would you drill for close loop, and water change purpose? I plan to have it drill on or next to the overflow about 4 to 5 in below water surface.

Please advise on PVC size, bulkhead size for return, drainage, check valve, union. and where to drill.

Thanks,

Louie]

[I would go ahead and drill 2 1.5" bulkhead size holes (for drains) and 2 1" holes for returns.

I would have the closed loop intake as you suggest on one side, again a 1.5 in bulkhead.

Since it is a room divider you will want to build a manifold type device for the closed loop output as you won't be able to drill or go over a side! I would suggest you get a good pressure rated pump like an Iwaki or simular so you can have more discrete (smaller) plumbing for the manifold without losing the flow.

That's a really nice tank BTW. One of my favorite sizes!]

Edited By kwl1763 on 1112112401

[Basically you can plumb say 3/4" plumbing around the top inside of you tank. If it is glass with the standard plastic lip you can drill small holes in the plastic and use zipties to hold the plumbing right against the top where you won't even be able to see it. You then make a circle basically around the edge of the tank and every so often have a T that comes off. How many Ts (outputs) you want will depend on the pump and you flow needs. 4,6,8,10 and I've even seen 12 can be used. to those outlets just a couple locline links are connected then all you see below the water is that very small bit of locline. A brilliant way to do a closed loop that is flexible and not obtrusive!

Here is Calfo's article on it. Calfo Manifold

Look in this thread for more info then you ever wanted!
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums....=520145]

Edited By kwl1763 on 1112124155

[Which pump do you recommend? I have a mag 18 for return ( probably about 1300 gph of two returns at 5 ft head pressure). I go with the Euro brace instead of center brace on top. Is this good idea for reef tank? Also, plan to drill a hole ( mentioned above about 4 inches below water surface) for the closed loop pump's intake. The tank will have 3 starfire glass sides. The overflow box end will be black i guess. Any suggestion?]

[Tank will be here on May 22nd. I need some volunteers to move the tank from the truck bed in the back garage into the house. I will post the time. Please let me know if you can help. I need about 4 to 6 people. It should not take more than 15 minutes. Just need to go thru one door , into the living room, and on the stand (42 inch tall). I live by 121 and N.75. Thanks so much.]

[Since this will be a room divider, I came up with an idea to add the 5th door at one end which allow me to move the sump out without moving the tank on top. The stand is 41tall, 72 long, and 24 wide. Golden oak color.]

[I came up with an idea to add another door at one end of stand to move sump and skimmer easier since this will be a room divider tank.]

[Louie,
I can be there also tohelp with the move. Just let me know as we get closer. You still have my cell number?]

@reefgazer wrote:
[Anyone know any better to buy eggcrate beside Home depot or Lowe?] said:
[You do know that HD have two different types of eggcrate right? One costs about $6 and the other cost about $10. They are very similar and approximately 2'x4', but are at two different locations in the store.]

[I ended going to Lighting suplly near Royal ln and I 35 for the eggcrate. They did cut for free and it was a little cheaper than HD. I found the one at HD and Lowe a little bit more fragile. here is the pic of the stand and canopy in place. Enjoy.]

[I plan to rent the U haul truck to transport the tank. Do you guys have any better idea? I don't have a truck to do the job.
If any have a truck that can handle 6 ft long tank I am more than happy to pay for the gas.

As far as for now, I don't know where the glasscage truck will be locate when it arrives in dallas. The tank need to be pick up and transport to Mckinney (121 and 75 N).

Thank you]

Edited By reefgazer on 1115690117