Search results

1. Crotalus

Zoas closed melting

I couldn't keep Zoas for years, then I suddenly could. They were growing fast enough to sell frags. Now, about 4 months ago, they suddenly closed up and started wasting away. I thought it was the asterina stars. I've removed them all. The only other thing that has changed is the palythoas...
  2. Crotalus

ICP-Analysis

I recently purchased an ICP analysis. What a nightmare. They have completely changed the procedure from the what it was before. To start with, I am very particular about installing Apps on my phone. I try very hard to keep it to a minimum. No Twitter, no Facebook, no Instagram, no TikTok. I...
  3. Crotalus

I though pyramid butterflys would be peaceful

I added 4 Pyramid butterflys to my tank. One died due to a punctured mouth. The others are intimidating each other right next to my long spined urchin. They are trying to kill each other against the urchin. I'm shocked. I see lots of tanks with multiple butterlys. I thought a 215 gallon...
  4. Crotalus

Something inside my Hammer.

This hammer looks fine when the lights are on.  Last night I happened  to notice something growing on the skeleton between the heads.  Some are pineapple sponges, but the tentacle thing is weird.
  5. Crotalus

Pineapple Sponge request

My wife works in a biology lab at SMU.  Last year she grabbed a bunch of Pineapple sponges out of my tank for the students to study.  They are in the textbooks.Now they have all but disappeared and been replaced by round sponges.Does anyone have some pineapples that I can harvest for the...
  6. Crotalus

What?

I spotted a few in the overflow, then noticed several in the sump.  I know there are pineapples everywhere, but this is something new.  It's about the size of a pencil eraser.   Kinda bagel shaped.
  7. Crotalus

New Copper Butterfly

I've lost a couple in the past because they refused to eat. This one ate like a pig in quarantine, so I put him in the display. He immediately started eating the spaghetti worms in the sand. This is great because their numbers were increasing and I had no idea what predator to get. What a...
  8. Crotalus

Vibrant

Has anyone tried this algae treatment?  Reviews look good, but it sounds too good to be true. One person reported a nitrate spike,which is logical, but others aren't seeing it.
  9. Crotalus

Vodka dosing?

Dosing vodka supposedly increases bacteria growth that can be removed by your skimmer, thereby removing nitrates?Anyone tried it?https://www.thesprucepets.com/reducing-nitrates-with-the-vodka-method-2925180 
  10. Crotalus

Man Postpones Retirement to Save Reefs After He Accidentally Discovers How to Make Coral Grow 40 Times Faster

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/man-postpones-retirement-to-save-reefs-after-he-accidentally-discovers-how-to-make-coral-grow-40-times-faster/
  11. Crotalus

Urchins

My wife brought home 20 pincushion urchins from school.  I sold 10 to a LFS.  I put the rest in my tank.  They are great at eating algae.  They clean rocks and glass even better than snails. The downside is they are like little tanks.  They grab anything that isn't nailed down and use it for...
  12. Crotalus

I just found this free floating

This little coral is just floating around, about the size of a quarter.  Transparent green arms with blue tips.  It looks like a frogspawn that died on me months ago.  Should I let it land somewhere on it's own?  It doesn't seem to have a discernible top or bottom.
  13. Crotalus

Maxspect Gyre

I'm looking for a used pump only.  No controller. Either a 230 or 250.ThanksMark
  14. Crotalus

Polyp identy?

Has anyone seen these before?  They are dime sized.
  15. Crotalus

What is this?

I thought this was a Frogspawn, but apparently not.
  16. Crotalus

Reef Bright 72" LED.

Like new ReefBright LumiLite 72" 50/50 LED fixture.  120VAC power supply.  I have added a built in Dimmer / power switch to the cord.   I still have all the original packaging.  Only used for about 3 months.I just have too much white in my tank so I going to switch to a 100% blue fixture.I'm in...
  17. Crotalus

LED Lights

I got to measure my tank lighting last week.  I was very surprised how low the light really was.I had 90PAR 1" into the water and 20 on the sand.My lights consisted of 2 - 72" Reef Bright LimuLites (one blue and one 50/50)  and 2 - 36" Current USA.  Compounding the problem was the lights were...
  18. Crotalus

pH

I am struggling with my pH.  It sits at 7.7.  When I add alk buffer it jumps to almost 9 but only lasts 30 min. or so.  All the discussions I see blame it on CO2.  I added a CO2 absorption canister a couple of days ago and it made no difference.Does anyone in the area sell pH meter calibration...
  19. Crotalus

Water Temp

My DI water filters and water storage are outside.  In the shade, but still outdoors.  When I went to do a water change the temp was 90 degrees.  10 lbs of ice only brought the 50 gallon barrel down 1 degree.Anyone have any tricks to bring the temp down?ThanksMark