Search results

1. M

Explain Power Supplies and LDD / Buckpuck like i'm a child

I'm actually pretty tech savvy. However, this is the ONE thing i have looked for answers online and can't find a definitive answer in simplistic terms. Regular LED power supplies. I got down pat... But i don't want that... what i want... 6 Cree XM-L2 (Cool White) 12 XT-E (maybe XP-G2) Royal...
  2. M

Flame Angels Aggression and Sex Changing

So, posted this to Reef Central as well. Hoping someone may know here... I have a large flame angel male and did not know that two males will fight to the death. So, i went and got a 2nd one to attempt to breed these guys... Turns out... Both are male... No good. Right now, i have the second...
  3. M

Problems with Skimmer

So, to help figure this out, i took actual video of the issue. Periodically, it works fine when i mess with things. The problem is, i have no idea what i messed with to make it work. Maybe someone else can give me some pointers. This is the first skimmer i've ever had and it hasn't worked right...
  4. M

Stacking Rocks with Rods

So, i went to home depot and got those fiberglass rods that i've heard others use to support rocks when they have corris wrasse. Well, i've got one as well, so, i figure it's time to start early before he's flipping more than just the occasional frag around. Now, my idea here is... Since i've...
  5. M

PVC Overflow / Weir for Bean Animal without overflow box

So, here's what i got put together as fast as i could when i got holes drilled in the tank so i can start filling it back up ASAP (after cleaning up the sand which is probably dead after being dry 24 hrs and the egg crate cleaned of dead algae). Over all, i'm proud of this set up. Did it quick...
  6. M

Corals Changing Color

So, new question. How common is it for corals to change colors and what causes it? Examples... I had a Lobophyllia frag that i got and it had purple edges with a lighter purple / bluish center of it's mazes. Now it's more of a rust red/brown on it's edges with an even lighter purple center...
  7. M

Trying to save Bubble Coral

So, got this from a LFS for pretty much next to nothing. Good amount of heads on it, but it's looking extremely rough. Said they received it in worse shape than it currently is in when it was shipped and it's recovered to what it is now... Is there any hope for it, and if so, what can i do to...
  8. M

Skimmer problems

I have the old model SWC Xtreme 250 on my 135G with currently a 25G sump that's half full. I know it's a bit over powered for my tank. It's supposed to be able to hand 180G of "Heavy" bio load and up to 300-350 gallons of "light" bio load... When i first started it up, it pulled gunk out and...
  9. M

Confusion with several corals

So, i just got a bunch of corals over the past week. Wend i got Bi Colored Hammer Blue Sympodium Fire and Ice Zoa 3 frags of Candy Cane that have 3 heads each and a Torch coral. 2 weeks ago, i got a Lobophylia / Maze Brain coral Sat i got a Favia brain coral... As of today - 2 of the 3 Candy...
  10. M

What coral is this, and any other types of the same shape

No idea what these guys are, or if this is in the right category. I just know i love the shape of these cone corals / cup corals and all kinds of other names i've seen them given. Would just like to know what they're called in the reefkeepers world to start looking for them. Some examples i...
  11. M

John Snow of Corals - I know nothing

So, i know nothing about corals. Well, that's a slight lie. I know a few things. I know you have to feed them... For the LPS, i've got that down pretty well. Baby medicine doser with some thawed frozen mysis shrimp and we're good to go. I know that SPS like high light and LPS like medium light...
  12. M

WT Borrow Diamond Hole Saw Tomorrow

Looking to drill my tank tomorrow and hoping i don't have to buy a hole saw. If anyone has one that will drill a hole for a 1 inch bulk head I can borrow let me know. Any help is appreciated!
  13. M

Adding DSB to Cycled Tank with Livestock

So, if i go from a very light sand bed to a DSB with dry sand or live sand. Would it cause a mini cycle or just propagate slowly and become live with no problems? Or, should i just a little bit at a time and let each piece cycle over several months to not stress out the fish / coral ect? I...
  14. M

How to Spot Feed Corals?

So, i have no clue how to do this. I know i should in the next day or two. I've got 2 LPS frags (brains) and was told i can spot feed them coral food / mysis shrimp / brine shrimp or any other protein source. Just aim it at the head... So, how do i do this so i know they get it? For my RBTA i've...
  15. M

Byropsis Help needed

So, got everything stabilized in my tank. Most algae is dying off, but it appears the little bit of byropsis i had THOUGHT i'd gotten rid of took advantage of everything else dying off. Now it has exploded all over the place. What can i do to get rid of this stuff? Nitrate - 0 (after algae /...
  16. M

Sump - Please don't laugh too hard

So, this was done after a 6 pack of beer and next to no sleep... I'm not concerned with looks for this thing obviously. So, please don't laugh... Water parameters still read 0 for everything, but the tank just /looks/ like it's dirty... Probably not nearly as bad i think it is, but with the...
  17. M

ID this thing?

I have no clue what this is. It's on a piece of live rock i really like. Came with the mushrooms, some nice algae and micro algae as well as feather dusters of all different colors from blue, red, black, yellow and white. Then this just started popping up. The specked half cup looking thing. Is...
  18. M

First LED Build Started

So, working on my first LED build after months and months of research. Surprisingly, it's original purpose is not for the aquarium. It will be used for my tank at first for a few weeks at least, but ultimately it'll actually be the lighting for my living room. For now though, i have the...
  19. M

Sump Idea

Ok, so, basing this off a similar design i had that worked really well for a freshwater setup i had. I understand there's a few differences that were needed for salt, but... Here's my idea. alt=""> Top ic is view from the top and bottom is view from the side: How this would work - Water...
  20. M

Natural Daylight for tanks

So, toying with this idea and going to give it a go and see how it works. Looking a product called Solatube. It's basically the same principal as a skylight, but not nearly as large or pricey. Light reflector catches light and disperses it through the room via reflection... Now, multiple...