Search results

1. O

Looking for small custom aquarium builder or recommendations on where to get a similar sized shallow glass aquarium

Hello,I haven't posted here in a long long time... I currently have a glass Planet Aquarium 75g, and I am getting a little tired of the size and base rock that unfortunately never got covered in coralline, and I am actually looking to down size, and also start with new rock. Now that I think I...
  2. O

Is this Bryopsis?

Has been on 2 frags for at least 4 months, I keep pulling it manually but keeps coming back, does not seem to be spreading, but it does seem to grow back in about 3 weeks. It is feathery but not bunched up and does not seem to have a mat root system. System has low algae overall, nothing...
  3. O

McCosker's Flasher Wrasse and Fairy(Cirrhilabrus) Wrasse in 75g tank

Hey all,After my purple firefish died about 4 months ago, due to what seemed like either a tumor or a internal infection, I have been thinking about what to add to my 75g tank. I was thinking of doing a firefish again, but I have a Flasher Wrasse and recently learned they don't get along, and...
  4. O

Considering dosing, how many pumps and what to dose?

I am considering dosing my aquarium to support coral growth and also to get more corals. I have GHL Profilux 4, and thinking of getting a GHL Doser 2.1 slave with either 3 or 4 pumps - depending on what I have to dose. Unfortunately automatic water changes are out of the question, since I don't...
  5. O

75 G additional stocking - Kaudern's cardinal with Ochrestriped cardinal?

Between the unexpected death of my purple firefish which I had for almost 2 years, due to what I think was an intestinal blockage, internal parasites or a tumor and having to sell my Flame Angel as he wasn't reef safe, I think my tank is now a little empty. I don't think there is an active...
  6. O

Purple firefish with stomach bulge

I have had my purple firefish for a little over a  year now, never had issues with him until this Monday, on Sunday he was behaving normal and eating normally. On Monday he started hiding when he came out to try and eat, only to spit it out I immediately noticed a big stomach bulge and a tiny...
  7. O

What's this white bubbly snotty stuff on my live rock?

I've had my 75g for 18 ?months, I used all base rock, phosphates at .02 with measured with ultra low hanna checker, 0 nitrates, mag 1320, KH 8.4 Ca 390, 1.0245 SG. Initially I didn't have any of this white snotty stuff on my live rock, but lately its been very annoying, it is not an eye sore...
  8. O

Raising ro/di PH for a fish freshwater dip

I am suspecting gill flukes on my tank, there are no externalsigns or behavior changes other than the ocassional flashing, been going on for 6 months or more, so it might be a very mild infestation, or I have also read ich can manifest on the gills only all the time, sounds unlikely given...
  9. O

Selling 3 decent sized pieces of live rock - pest free guaranteed includes mini brittle stars

http://i63.tinypic.com/ht5xdu.jpgI have a standard 75g, for reference in the picture, and I am selling the 3 rocks in the red square, I have not weighted it, but I was thinking 3 per pound would be fine or make me an offer. Tank has been setup for 15 months now. Rock was bought dry from...
  10. O

Anyone pre-ordering GHL profilux 4? Or using GHL?

Was thinking about pre-ordering mine, I have only heard good things about GHL, the user base is much smaller than Apex, but the controller seems like better quality to me, which is why I'm thinking about buying it, their powerbar 5.1 also tracks power consumption like the new APEX. The...
  11. O

Branching hammer coral black mat on branches?

Hello, I got this frag about 2.5 weeks ago, and it has always had a couple of patches total of 4 of what seems like a black mat, all of them smaller than half a square inch, the biggest one I took a picture with the lights off for clarity (so the heads are fully retracted), it seems some sort...
  12. O

When to replace RO membrane and DI resin?

I have a barracuda 100gdp ro/di system, I think I have had it for about 20 months now, I have changed the prefilters a couple of times and also 4 months ago upgraded the system to have the chloramine blaster upgrade kit. However I have never changed the RO membrane nor the DI resin, the system...
  13. O

Cheapest frag tank possible?

I am not really trying to start a frag tank, as I just don't want to be maintaining 2 tanks. However I do want to keep my DT free of pests and my fish free of diseases such as ich (yes I know chances of this are really really low but just in case). Anyway here is what I have though so far for my...
  14. O

Looking for supplemental lightning recommendation

I am very new to reef keeping, despite having been in saltwater for 3 years now, anyway about 2-3 months ago I bought my first frags, I got some candy canes, zoanthids and mushrooms, all except the mushroom I currently have them about mid height on a standard dimensions 75 gallon with a single...
  15. O

Blow pop zoanthids only opening in the morning?

I've had these blow pop zoanthids for 4 weeks now, and I can't figure out why out of the 10 polyps I have, only 3 stay open thru the day, I have noticed that when the lights begin to ramp up from moonlight to full intensity all of them start to open and stay open for a couple of hours, by the...
  16. O

Fish disease ID, discolored raised patch with red center

Today I noticed my clownfish had a discolored raised patch, with a red center, on close inspection the close center seems to be raised too, it really does look like blood. Here is a picture: alt=""> No other symptoms on the clownfish or on the other fish, he is acting normal and eating, no...
  17. O

Yellow clown goby starved to death?

I've had my yellow clown goby for 7 months, he always looked pretty skinny, but lately I noticed him being even skinner, and kinda fast breathing but I figured thats because he would mostly cone out to eat, and I know eating causes fast respiration, he always came out to eat, and ate but maybe...
  18. O

Royal gramma white speck on transparent fins

I've had my royal gramma for 3 years, ever since I got him I remember ocasionally seeing a white speck on his transparent fins, it doesn't exactly look bumpy more like a speck that joins 2 of the fins mmm flexible bones?, you know the kinda paralel lines joined by the transpared fins. Today I...
  19. O

Apex vs Reef Angel controllers, which one is more reliable?

I have been thinking about getting a controller for my tank for the past 2 weeks, mainly because I want a fail safe, but also because I like the remote monitoring and control. I was ready to buy the Apex, because until yesterday I though the only 2 controllers on the market where RKL and Apex...
  20. O

Clownfish - possible brookynella....

Today my wife noticed a white cotton fuzz in my clownfish, after close inspection I noticed he has what appears to be an area of about 1 cm of a white like fungus near his top fin, but on his body. It is a bit hard to see it, but with indirect lighting as he moves I was able to take a close look...