Search results

1. hnurge

MARCNA livestream starts sat 9/9

hey guys - I almost missed this. Mark/melev is doing a big 24 hour reef flavored livestream "MARCNA" on YouTube with 24 speakers and raffles starting Saturday at 9am. info at https://www.marcna.com it is not a DFWMAS club event - but it does sound like it will be a neat event to attend/watch for...
  2. hnurge

Finally! Baby Clownfish

I have been wanting to breed marine fish for years, and now i have a tank full of tiny ocellaris clowns! I have been trying to remember to take pictures and notes along the way. and today they are about 6 weeks old - so i decided to put it all together (and edit out the worst of the bad camera...
  3. hnurge

Bounce-back fish room additions

so, not sure if this is the best place to add this. My main tank is a 6ft 125g with 30g sump(skimmer, socks, refuge, heaters, return pump). custom lights and controller, ATO, moonlight. i also have a tiny but surprisingly stable 10g with air driven skimmer, powerhead, custom light, and HOB...
  4. hnurge

Free stuff/trades at Feb club meeting

hey crew - we are having an IN PERSON club meeting on Feb 17th at glass aquatics. the great thing about in person - other than meeting all our great members, is being able to swap/trade/etc. do you have any common corals that are growing out of control and need to be trimmed, but you probably...
  5. hnurge

crashed phyto culture

so, i had a great phyto culture going for the past few weeks. then last night it went clear and settled. so i pulled out the trusty microscope... http://youtu.be/TwY1vV-pGds it appears i have zoaplankton now. thought i would share. microscope sheds light on a lot of issues! sorry about the...
  6. hnurge

coral growth, 1 year tank anniversary

hi everyone. well, its almost mid July and water first hit my main display tank about a year ago. i still haven't updated my build thread, and really, my tank build hasn't been finished. however the main lighting and filtration was ready a year ago, and since then i have been enjoying the...
  7. hnurge

Bioluminescet brittle star?

so, i was looking up some info on brittlestars and i came across this on wikpedia: "Over 60 species of brittle stars are known to be bioluminescent.[6] Most of these produce light in the green wavelengths, although a few blue-emitting species have also been discovered. Both shallow-water and...
  8. hnurge

Acan or other?

hey guys. was playing in my tank, feeding corals and whatnot when i had a sudden realization... i don't think my acan is an acan. I bought him at the april fragswap (from i don't know who), and thought he was an acan - he looked a lot like one then. acan.JPG but he has grown some, and looking...
  9. hnurge

pepermint shrimp

hey guys, i have a few questions on breeding peppermint shrimp. in my 10 gallon frag tank i have no fish, various coral frags (changes frequently), 3 blue legged hermits, 3 astria snails, and 2 peppermint shrimp. it also has the pypcal compliment of brittle stars, pods , and flatworms... perhaps...
  10. hnurge

you know you have gone salty when...

reading an article unrelated to reef keeping, and you see an image and think "man, where can i get a frag of that!" alt=""> cornflower blue and white acropora.. anyone have any?
  11. hnurge

why to use a refractometer

so when i got back into the hobby at the beginning of the year i had several instruments for measuring salinity. i had an old swing arm hygrometer, a small floating glass hygrometer, and one large floating glass hygrometer from wine making. i mixed up a few test batches of salt and they all read...
  12. hnurge

frag to display piece?

so, I've acquired quite a few frags, and they are growing well, but I'm a bit confused as to how you grow them to the point that they don't look like a frag anymore. Does anyone have any advice on how you take a frag, and convert/grow it into a decent display piece? do you glue the plug into...
  13. hnurge

Hans' fish room build (multiple tanks)

hi guys, i love the tank builds - so i figure i should contribute. the problem is, my project is more than just the reef tank. I'm designing and building a complete fish room. the 115 reef will be the main element, but the other tanks support. all in all i intend to have the following: Main...