Search results

1. hnurge

Photo of the Month - March 2024 VOTE HERE - Contest (everyone voting)

#2 - but wow, yea, good photos this month.
  2. hnurge

Is this a bad critter?

+1 for Asterina. I can't say I have ever had one cause any issue. I consider them part of the clean up crew - though i'm not sure they eat much. and they definitely can multiply to large numbers. if you like them, they are good. if you don't, they are a pest.
  3. hnurge

Phyto

for culture vessels, go to whole foods or your local fancy grocery - look for the apple cider in glass jugs. those 1 gallon round glass jugs make great culture vessels, and it's cheaper to get them with cider than empty.
  4. hnurge

🍾 🥳 HAPPY NEW YEAR DFWMAS 🍾

Happy New Year to you and all as well! Having finally defeated this recent hair algae outbreak after a 3 month war, I'm going into 2024 with a clean and growing reef. All the clowns made eggs on New Years eve, and Santa brought me a greenhouse! so hopefully 2024 will be full of many fun and...
  5. hnurge

and it's already done its job!

and it's already done its job!
  6. hnurge

MARCNA livestream starts sat 9/9

hey guys - I almost missed this. Mark/melev is doing a big 24 hour reef flavored livestream "MARCNA" on YouTube with 24 speakers and raffles starting Saturday at 9am. info at https://www.marcna.com it is not a DFWMAS club event - but it does sound like it will be a neat event to attend/watch for...
  7. hnurge

Tube Worms/ Vermitted Snails

interesting. will definitely give this a try.
  8. hnurge

Photo of the Month - August 2023 VOTE HERE - Contest (everyone voting)

#3 - I'm a sucker for closeups with fish.
  9. hnurge

Zoa's are not making it

well, that seems fine for temp. and, tank should be cycled at least - may still mature a bit (diatom issue should go away in 6-8 months). Ma/Ca really aren't a problem for zoas. so water parameters are good. (although again, a bit clean for zoas to thrive - but they should open) so, that leaves...
  10. hnurge

Zoa's are not making it

so, you don't mention how long the tank has been set up. but its very clean. possibly too clean. for the few small hard corals (frogspawn, and hammer), you can probably make do with just water changes until they get much larger. you might try leaving it be for a few weeks - dont dose, or chase...
  11. hnurge

Photo of the Month - June 2023 VOTE HERE - Contest (everyone voting)

#2 also, but yes- a great assortment this month!
  12. hnurge

Tomini Tang

Tom the tang is the best. devourer of hair algae. - I already have my Tom, but anyone with a large enough tank should look into getting one (and this is a great deal)
  13. hnurge

Photo of the Month - May 2023 VOTE HERE - Contest (everyone voting)

ill vote #1 - man that is striking color
  14. hnurge

Help in removing Kenya Tree infestation!

get a pair of surgical scissors (if you don't already have for fragging softies) and chop them down at the base/trunks and remove the trimmings. yes, many of the stumps will eventually start to grow back - but in an hour you will remove 90% of them. then, do it again the next week removing any...
  15. hnurge

Finally! Baby Clownfish

any larger live food seems to be loved (black worms, grindal worms, amphipods, adult brine, etc). frozen foods are good, fish eggs seem to be their favorite frozen food. I rotate through a large variety of live/frozen/pellet/flake. but i don't think that triggers them to breed - other than...
  16. hnurge

who also has freshwater or specialize saltwater feeding requirement fish

Just to add to the above: white worms are fantastic, but tough to culture in Texas. they really like low temperatures (55-65 deg F) and tend to die or at least stop reproducing above 70. I have heard of folks using a wine fridge to culture them with good success. a good alternative is "grindal"...
  17. hnurge

Photo of the Month - March 2023 - VOTE HERE March 2023 - Contest (everyone voting)

wow - these are all fantastic. ill vote #3... but all are great.