Search results

1. M

Aptaisa Problem

Will Peppermint Shrimp really eat Aptasia. Are the nudis a better choice.  Small open tank, tried file fish but they jump.  40 gallon rimless tank, nothing but clowns and softies, but have some nice pallys and zoas, afraid to juice them so close to my zoas.  Any advice welcome.  
  2. M

Can only Find Metal Screen Covers

Don't want to use egg crate and can't find anything but metal screen covers, like the Zilla tops.   Just needs to fit a standard 75 gallon 48"X15" tank.  Not good at DIY projects.  If the metal top does not touch the water would it be acceptable. Any suggestions welcome.
  3. M

Metal Screen Cover for Reef Tank

Don't want to use egg crate and can't find anything but metal screen covers, like the Zilla tops.   Just needs to fit a standard 75 gallon 48"X15" tank.  Not good at DIY projects.  Any suggestions welcome.
  4. M

Coronavirus & The Hobby

I saw Marc doing a live stream on this as well as BRSTV, but I was at work and could not log in to respond to either.  I haven’t seen it brought up here on the DFWMAS forum yet so I thought I’d post this.  I’m wondering what impact Shelter in Place will have on the hobby.  On one hand it will...
  5. M

Non-Metallic Mesh Screen Tops

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a plastic mesh screen top for a 75 gallon, standard 48"x18" tank.  I need about an inch for four Fluval Canister hoses two on each back corner.  Most of the screens I'm finding online are metal.  Seems that would rust out pretty quick. Thanks
  6. M

Free or Trade for Frags RODI Unit

I have a used RODI unit that I no longer need, and would like to trade for a frag or two.  It’s one of Marks earlier Melev’s Reef units. Here’s a link to one that looks similar.  https://www.melevsreef.com/catalog/rodi-systems-filters#prettyPhoto/1/ Filters probably need to be changed soon, I...
  7. M

Tank Disaster Heater Malfunction GSP will Not Open

Woke up yesterday morning to a tank at 95 degrees due to a heater locking up.   Killed my Midas and Fox Face, two large Acan colonies. Have some small sps colonies bleaching and so far my GSP have not opened.  Funny thing my zoas and even my clam are all fine.  But I'm concerned about the GSP...
  8. M

MagFloat Acrylic vs Glass

Getting ready to set up a new 75 gallon Glass tank.  The old one was badly scratched by MagFloat.  I want to try and keep the new tank as scratch-free as possible.  Can anyone tell me if the blue acrylic cleaners are any better at cleaning a glass tank than the white glass cleaners, or is there...
  9. M

WTB Large Clam

Any Color other than the common Blue Maxima.  I would like to have something large or that will get big quick, maybe a Dersa. The bigger the better.  I live in Irving but will travel.Thanks
  10. M

WTB Clams

Looking for Clams in the Irving Dallas areaThanks
  11. M

UV Sterilizer on Pico Tank For Algae Control

I recently set up two 5 gallon Pico tanks one with a lot of flow and probably way too much light.  The other with no powerhead and a lot less light.  On the problem tank I'm running a Black Box 80 watt LED and the tank is only 12" deep.  Everything looked great for about a week, but today I'm...
  12. M

Questions About Keeping  Nems Clams & Ponies in a Nano Tank

I just bought a small blue Maxima  Clam and have it in my 60 gallon display.  This is my first clam.  I know I should have started with a Derasa, but couldn’t resist this beautiful animal.So far it is doing well but I have Bristol worms and a FoxFace in there I'm concerned about.I presently...
  13. M

Want to Trade New Kessil Spectral Controller for Zoas

I have a new Spectral Controller in the box, never used.  Bought the wrong one.  Would like to trade for Zoas or Frogspawn or any soft coral or LPS of equal value.  Controller was $100. on Amazon.  Location Irving.   
  14. M

Kessil Power Supply Getting Hot

I'm running four Kessils: A 360X, 360 WE and two 160s.  Lights are Daisy Chained all running into a Spectral X controller.   I'm thinking I may have miss matched the power units or something.  I know the power supplies on these lights run pretty warm, but these are really hot, almost too hot to...
  15. M

Dedicated Zoanthid Tank Under Actinics Only

Bought some new Kessils.  I'm running them over a 60 gallon Softie Tank that is, with the exception of one Favia and some leathers mostly Zoas and Pallys, with just ten fish.  With the new lights running only blues at full intensity the tank is pretty bright and I prefer the look of my zoas...
  16. M

Zoa Eating Nudibranch

Spotted a couple of Nudi's on my zoas.  So far I've only spotted two, one red and one green.  Can anyone tell me what would be the best fish to eat these little buggers.  I hear Yellow Coris wrasse or Six Line or Long Nose Butterfly.  Cant really pull these colonies to dip them.  I hear both...
  17. M

Having a Wall Painted Close to the Tank:

I’m wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. I suppose this will just be latex wall paint, but the wall that is to be painted is about two feet from the tank.  I understand they spray it on.  Of course I will make sure the tank is covered with a drop cloth and I may turn off the...
  18. M

Temporary Patch For a leaking Tank

I'm at work flipping through TV channels watching these stupid infomercials because nothing else is on, when an idea struck me.  This Flex tape product might be useful in a tank emergency to do a quick temp patch to a leaking tank.  Of course it probably wouldn't hold long, but might hold long...
  19. M

Do Large Corner Bowfront Tanks Still Exist.

Does anyone know if these tanks are even still made?  I know Oceanic use to make them.  They had one at DNA for years, but can't find one any more.  May have to have one custom built.  Thinking 90 or 100 gallon glass, preferably not drilled.
  20. M

Six Line & Neon Dotty in Small Tank: Big Mistake

[[I’m posting this so any folks new to the hobby won’t make the same mistake.  ][I should have known better.][  ][Because of a possible flat worm, and Nudibranch discovery, I decided to add two small wrasses together for pest control.][  ][I added a Six Line Wrasse, and Yellow Coris, both small...