Search results

1. T

Successful Banggai settlement

After 3 failed carries, my male Banggai carried a full clutch of 40 babies to term. They were released yesterday and today (Days 25 & 26) and are now in a 5g grow out tank. I am keeping a journal on MBI and it can be found here. D26 release.jpg
  2. T

Chlorine Maintenance Alert

If you find your city or water company on this list, your water comes through the Wylie treatment plant managed by the North Texas Municipal Water District. They recently released the following statement: Chlorine Maintenance Scheduled January 17, 2014 - The North Texas Municipal Water...
  3. T

Lets see your Leather!

I have really enjoyed the Euphyllia thread (and even bought my first 2 at Nextwave because of it), and was hoping we could assemble a similar collection of leathers found in local tanks. So if you have a finger or hand, a toadstool or tree, a cabbage or colt, lets see it... It's time to show...
  4. T

Digging for China

So I get my female clown digging out a nesting area, but I have a big hole forming in my big tank that had me stumped. I had never caught anyone in the act, nor did anyone appear to use it for sleeping. Today, I catch the Tang and the Butterfly fish working together to continue the dig. I...
  5. T

A very useful funnel

I always end up spilling a little when I try to pour stuff into the typical 5g water jugs, as well as my mixing drums. I considered bying a typical funnel, but then decided I wanted something with a larger mouth so salt could also be poured through it without clogging. My search lead me to a...
  6. T

?Slug? ID

So I spotted this little guy on my glass a few minutes ago. He is about 5mm x 2mm and moves about as fast as a snail. Over half of his body acts as a foot/sucker, with the 2 points trailing along behind him. Any idea what he is? alt=""> alt="">
  7. T

POLL: When do YOU replace your RODI Filters?

As my water production slows, and my TDS has started to slowly climb, I am considering replacing the filters on my 7 month old RODI unit. I see many varying recommendations from those that sell filters so I thought I would take a poll to see what my others are doing.
  8. T

Apex users- what is your power consumption?

I recently upgraded from an AC3 to an APEX Lite. Knowing my power consumption is driving me crazy! LOL Heater- 2.2 Mag12 return- 1.6 Mag9 Closed loop- 1.5 Skimmer & Reactor- .9 Main lights- .9 Apex unit- .6 Night lights- .2 Fan- .2 I am averaging about 4.7 at night and 5.4 during the day...
  9. T

LFS CUCs

Anyone have any suggestions for what LFS east of the airport has the best price/selection on clean up crews? Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 4g using Tapatalk.
  10. T

Moving a fish from QT to DT

I am planning to move my first fish from QT to the DT at the end of the week. The QT has about 25 gallons of water in it, and my plan for to replace 5g (20%) of the QT water with DT water twice a day for 3 days as a partial acclimation. By Friday, most of the water in QT would be DT water...
  11. T

Algae ID wanted

So most of my cyano is going away , but an underlying algae of similar color remains. This was there before, but was covered in cyano... with the cyano mostly gone, it remains. It can be sucked off of the rocks fairly easily, so it doesn't seem to have a root system.It grows pretty fast... a...
  12. T

Observing tang feeding in QT

I have had a 3.5" Two-Spot Bristletooth (AKA Blue Eye Kole) in QT since Thursday. This is my first saltwater fish, so I honestly don't know what to expect out of it at feeding. On Friday I offered 1/2 a cube of Frozen Mysis and 1/4 sheet of seaweed on a clip. She ate all of both. Saturday...
  13. T

Wylie people- anyone with controller that can test my Probe?

My BRS PH Probe has stopped working after only a few months in operation. The controller logs show that the PH drifted from 8.0- to 12.3 in a 90 minute period. It then staid at 12.3 for 2 days. At BRS's suggestion, I re-calibrated it. It is now reporting 14.9 with the probe plugged in or...
  14. T

Check needed on my stocking choices and order

After lots of flip-flopping, I have decided to go back to my original plan of a Hawaiian themed FOWLR for my 110 wall tank. The additional lighting needs of corals would be difficult given the wall installation, along with limited access to the tank for rearranging, trimming, etc make it the...
  15. T

Titus and Jamie's 20g Clown tank build

So if you follow my wall tank build, you may recall that I have now purchased 3 small used tanks, each one intending to become a QT tank at the time of purchase. The second one purchased was a standard 20g tank that i found at a garage sale for $10. I decided to use it as a test to see if I...
  16. T

How do YOU prevent Ich?

As a newbie, I have been doing tons of research every step of the way. I find it extremely frustrating that there is nothing close to a consensus in the hobby on QT process and Ich Prevention/eradication. I thought I would take a poll to see if there is any sort of consensus locally. I figure...
  17. T

DIY Rock Pillar Supports with nylon rod

txbj PMed me about how I did my rock pillar supports with Acrylic rods, so I thought I would start a thread on it for others. Unfortunately I didn't plan on it being a DIY thread when I did it, so I didn't take any pictures along the way. [smilie=sadsmile.gif] Tools/supplies: Hack saw...
  18. T

To clean, or not to clean?

I have had RO water in my tank for the last month as I work through plumbing issues and get everything ready. I am just about there... this weekend I hope to be draining the tank, putting the rock and sand in, and then filling it with fresh salt water. The question is, should I give the tank a...
  19. T

Advice needed on modifying water storage containers

I picked up two used 20 gallon blue jugs with the intention of adding taps and using one for RODO water and one for mixing/storing salt water in. When I got them home, I realized that I couldnt fit my hand into the ports for screwing on a bulkhead for a tap, and I would not be able to fit my...
  20. T

Titus's 110 in-wall

About two weeks ago, my wife greenlighted an in-wall FOWLR aquarium. Things are moving pretty fast. The build will involve dividing our current oversized living room into a cozy living room and a home office with the tank wall separating them. I have settled on a custom 96" x 12" x 25" Planet...