Search results

1. T

Need help with my Acans

I need some advice on keeping my Acans healthy. I've never had much luck and they always retract back and eventually die. I bought five nice-looking frag's at the recent coral show. They were nice and plump in the display tank. I brought them home and they all retracted back although they are...
  2. T

when to replace DI cartridge

Wondering how you decide when to change your DI cartridge. I have a TDS meter. on my 4 stage RO/DI unit. Changed 2 months ago and now TDS coming out of DI at 6. Water going in at 68. Any guidance or rule of thumb for when to change? Mark
  3. T

pH wont stay above 8

i have been following the pH with my Apex controller and cannot keep the pH over 8. Calibration is fine and correlates with test kit. It can rise transiently to 8.2 at night but during the day drops to 7.99. I thought this is opposite of what it's supposed to do? I have tried various 2 parts and...
  4. T

Need help with my Duncans

I am trying for the 3rd time in several years to keep Duncans. Everytime they last for a few weeks before retracting their tentacles and withering away. I've heard varying advice on whether to feed or not. My water parameters are good. I've tried high up/low down. Low flow and moderate flow...
  5. T

need tunze 6100 replacement block

My Tunze Stream 6100 died and the motor block is no longer manufactured. I was hoping someone has an old one they are willing to sell. I would upgrade to the newer Turbelle's but I don't have any space between my cabinet and the glass to put the magnet. I have been using the old style...
  6. T

how to seal off a bulkhead

I want to remove a pipe from my sump that is below water level. What is the best way to seal off the bulkhead?
  7. T

anyone tried the level-loc auto top off from BRS?

Knowing that direct feed from the RO/DI into the sump is dangerous I found this item on BRS that seems triply redundant. Has a flapper valve, float valve and solenoid. Plus you can hook it up to a timer to only fill at designated intervals. Has anyone tried this...
  8. T

AZ-NO3

I purchased this new product which claims to reduce nitrates. After reading the ingredients ( a novel concept for marine aquarium products!) and reading the directions, it appears this is the equivalent of vodka dosing. It contains sugars and enzymes involved in fermentation. Anyone have...
  9. T

PFO MH Pendant Fried Again

My second 400 watt mogul pendant has shorted out when the wires melted in the hood. Manufacturer is PFO which I understand is now out of business. Question is has anyone else experienced this kind of melting of wire insulation from 400 watt mogul pendants? I can probably just cut out the bad...
  10. T

I bought a light meter. Now what?

A year or so ago, I purchased an Apogee light meter when the society had a group buy. I never saw any discussions on how people were using them or how to interpret the results. So, has anyone used a meter to determine if lights need replacing or for coral placement?
  11. T

How to catch a crab?

Was up before the sun today and decided to look into the tank with a flashlight and found a 1" crab hiding in the rocks. Looked like red/pink mottled color. Obviously a freebie that has been in there for sometime unknown. Not sure if I should be concerned about him being a predator. No...
  12. T

CoCo worm lost his head

I have seen feather dusters do this, but never seen a coco worm lose its crown. It looks like it's still alive in the tube and moving in and out. Anyone ever seen one survive this? I wonder how it eats now?
  13. T

Overflow clogged? Need advice

I have two corner overflows with 2" standpipe that elbow over 180 degrees at the surface. One appears to be clogged but I can't seem to snake anything around the bends to clear it. The pipe probably needs to be removed to be cleaned, but I'm unclear how to remove it. Should it just lift...
  14. T

CO2 tanks/refills in FW/Mid-Cities

I'm having trouble finding a 5 or 10 lb. CO2 tank and a company that will do refills or exchanges. FW or Mid-Cities preferred. Any suggestions?
  15. T

Recommendations on Korallin Reactor

Thinking about buying the 1502 unit because of it's small footprint. Anyone running this brand who would or would not recommend it?
  16. T

Info on current-usa lights

I want to upgrade my 140 reef lighting. I currently have 4 96wPC and 2 150w 10K MH attached to the top of my in-wall tank. They are 2 1/2 feet above the water and I think I'm wasting a lot of wattage. I want a pendant system and was looking at the Outer Orbit system. Does anyone have...
  17. T

Plate coral dying? - Lps

[The oldest of my 3 plate corals has lost tissue at the center and the underlying skeleton is visible for a least a centimeter. Is this a terminal condition? Is there anyway to frag and salvage one of these when the "mouth" is involved??]
  18. T

Zooanthid disappearing

[I have a mixed reef tank with mostly soft corals and a few lps and sps. My zooanthids colonies seem to be suddenly disappearing at an alarming rate. Several different varieties and none that are in contact with other corals. I'm used to seeing some fluctuation, but this is dramatic. None of...
  19. T

My new drop in refugium - Refugium

[Well, thanks to all the help I received from the members of the forum I have built my own refugium for my sump. It's only 6 gallons for my 140 tank, but hey it was worth a try. Put it into the larger section of my sump and drilled a bulkhead openning for a minipower head to fill it and used...
  20. T

Help with building refuguium

[Finally started on my drop in refugium. Couple of questions. HD and Lowes don't carry any cement for bonding acrylic. Can I use silicone or if not, where can I buy the proper cement. Also, How do you keep the edges tight and lined up while the cement dries. I can't figure out how to line...