Recent content by scttwhtmr

1. S

Black Sponge Overgrowth

I'm having an issue with black sponge growing over my live rock. It is taking over and I've tried to remove it but it keeps coming back. Do you have any suggestions? I really want to get this under control because it looks terrible. Thanks.
  2. S

Salt Mix

What type of salt mix do you use and why? Where is the best place to purchase it? Online? An lfs? Just looking for suggestions. I was thinking of ordering from Amazon.com. Thanks.
  3. S

Lighting Links

I found these links regarding lighting for different types of corals and thought I would share. http://successfulreefkeeping.com/learn/reef-tank-101/lighting-101/ http://successfulreefkeeping.com/learn/about-corals/best-beginner-coral-choices/...
  4. S

How do I tell if I have a mated pair?

I have 2 black ocellaris clownfish and I think they may be paired but how do I tell? I would love to breed them but I don't know anything about it. They currently reside in my 72 bowfront with only a lawnmower blenny as additional stock. Do I need to move them to a smaller tank? How do I...
  5. S

Mounting Lights

I have seen several posts regarding led lights being mounted above the water a certain distance (usually around 14 or 16 inches). I have also seen several led light systems that are frame mounted and are much lower to the water. Why the difference? Can I not mount a mars aqua (just for example)...
  6. S

stocking discussion

I am in the process of stocking my 72 gallon and would love to know what suggestions you have. I have 2 black ocellaris clownfish and a lawnmower blenny. As of right now I'm trying to decide what to do next. What are you favorite fish? If you were stocking this tank what would you put in it...
  7. S

DIY vs Storebought 2 part additives

I've been reading on 2 part additives and there are several recipes online. I was curious how many of you make your own vs how many of you buy the additives. If you make your own what recipe do you use? I have seen several but they're all variations on a theme, just minor differences overall...
  8. S

specific gravity

What do you keep your specific gravity set at? I currently have mine at 1.024 but I've seen recommendations for higher. What do you think?
  9. S

Using dishwasher drain tube for water line

I needed a new water line for one of my pumps but the only thing I could find is dishwasher drain tubing (brand new). Would you use this for your tank?
  10. S

What makes good base rock?

What rock types are good for base rock? I have heard that tufa is good, what else will work?
  11. S

LED lighting

Has anyone had an experience with this type of LED lighting for your tanks? I would usually go with MH but this looks like it might work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-36-48-LED-Aquarium-Light-Full-Spectrum-Multi-Color-Marine-Fish-Tank-Lamp-/191377449511?var=&hash=item2c8efc2227 For comparison I...
  12. S

Skimmer for 72 gallon bowfront

I am looking for recommendations for skimmers for a 72 gallon bowfront. What do you recommend? Any favorites? Thanks. Scott
  13. S

looking for a source for sand

I am trying to build my tank in an economical fashion (at least as far as this hobby allows). I am looking for a source for southdown sand or something similar I can use. I have checked around for crushed limestone but haven't had much luck. I'm looking for dry sand, can anyone tell me a good...
  14. S

resources and websites

Hey Everyone, I'm getting back into the hobby after a few years out. Could you link me some good websites for general supplies. I'm going to need everything from substrate all the way to fish. What are your favorites? I would prefer and LFS but I live a little outside the metroplex so it...